This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Display driver stopped responding

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This morning, my computer has been acting up. It's been pretty slow for a few days - with problems when multiple tabs are open. When I click between tabs, a lot of time, it will just stay on the initial tab display (despite the next tab being highlighted) - say I was on Hotmail, Facebook and Twitter. I may be on Hotmail and want to check out Twitter, so I click the Twitter tab and the display is still Hotmail. I've had a lot of problems with Silverlight and Flash crashing, so I figured that might be to do with that.

This morning though, it just randomly went black and took a while to re-display what I had on the screen. After the second time, it came up with a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

Now that I think about it, it was like the delay between when you change power source and the laptop asks if you want to swap to a different [something - processor??]. But it's now done it about four times in half an hour. It reloads everything fine, except it takes its time. There doesn't seem to be anything setting it off - nothing unusual - just using Chrome.

When it isn't black (or flickering from black to its normal state), any popups (Windows notifications - eg, to save something) are flickering. I can see the down arrow on my browser scrollbar flickering now.

There is only one update that is available and is relevant (is optional). I think I've tried installing it before, but when I tried today, it gave me a:

Code 80240020 Windows Update encountered an unknown error


Edit: Oh, it seems to have issues any time I open any program. I just opened Event Viewer and it pitched a bit of a fit. Error messages

1.28PM Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
1.23PM Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
1.23PM Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240020: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - Radeon ™ HD 6750M.
1.20PM Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
1.13PM Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
1.10PM Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
12.34PM Faulting application name: WebKit2WebProcess.exe, version: 7534.57.2.7, time stamp: 0x4fc6d83b
Faulting module name: JavaScriptCore.dll, version: 7534.57.3.6, time stamp: 0x4fb5b42b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000893b7
Faulting process id: 0x65d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce77f0e66da7e5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\Apple Application Support\WebKit2WebProcess.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\Apple Application Support\JavaScriptCore.dll
Report Id: 649cedaf-e51b-11e2-8dba-bc7737042c8d

12.03PM ATI EEU failed to post message to CCC
9.38AM Name resolution for the name www.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.


What can I do? :S
This is the updated driver for your display that is failing to install.


1.23PM Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240020: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - Radeon ™ HD 6750M.


You can go to Microsoft Windows update page and manually try to install the driver or I can suggest Drivermax which should find the newest driver for you and you can install it using that. Below are the instructions for Drivermax if you would like to try that method.


Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI