This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

FTP Port

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What is an FTP port and if it's giving me trouble how do I fix it. I ran a test to see if there were Winsock errors in windows but the error was unknown. I just want to know what it is and how to repair the problem.PLEASE help Thank you.
FTP - File Transport Protocol is a mechanism ordinarily used to Upload and Manage data and media files on the owner/users WebPage. In some other circumstances FTP may be used to communicate data in NewsGroups

Browsers like IE, Firefox, and Opera are assigned a "Port" through which they communicate with the internet, ususally Port 8180.

Since FTP is used for specific other communication, it is generally assigned to a different "Port".
____________-

I ran a test to see if there were Winsock errors in windows but the error was unknown.


What "test" did you run and what was the specific Error Message?

Best Regards
Hi kharley, Not sure what that was supposed to "test". That numerical address is reserved as the loop-back home address of any individual computer. Type that number (127.0.0.1) into any browser on any machine in the world and you will get a 404 Error "This page cannot be displayed". It's often used in the Host File to prevent browsing to known-bad sites. I don't think I'm being of much use to you here with the above information. Can you tell us a little more about what you are experiencing and what you are trying to accomplish. Best Regards
I am trying to get a software I downloaded and installed to run and was told that the ftp port was blocking it. I have DSL through my phone company and I was trying to get help from them and the How to check for winsock error in windows was their idea. I get you have to be connected to the internet everytime I try to run the software but i'm always connected. This was supposed to tell me if there were problems with the ftp so maybe I could find out why this software will run on anybodys computer but mine, I hope this helps you, Thank you.
Try clearing your Domain Name Service Start - Run - (type)cmd A DOS like box will appear with a blinking cursor. At the Blinking cursor, please type: ipconfig /flushDNS <– please note the required space before the "/"

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI