This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Walking In Cement

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hiya Computer has been slowing down and acting up. Went through the malware process, found almost nothing, was referred here. Slow is like, click on a link and it takes a minute for the new window to open. Like it took 4 minutes to open my mail application. Odd is like desktop files apparently opening themselves now and again. Like occasionally a popup warning that some Flash 9 is using up resources, do I want to keep running it? And nothing running in fact that I can perceive. Current trick is, close a browser window, one of the other ones that is minimized opens up. Didn't used to do that. I started on the lists at the links for treating Slow Windows. Emptied the cache, etc. Deleted some unused programs, few other things. Reduced the number of things that open with boot-up. Didn't understand everything, and have not done everything suggested in an orderly and thorough fashion. Of course this is not a unique problem. So is there already a primer somewhere, or a list of diagnostics and so forth I should look up before I holler too loud for help? Thanks, Denno
Hello Denno,

This issue could represent a number of things. Have you tried defragmenting your hard drive? Please also check for and list the exact popup message you are receiving. Here are a few other suggestions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…estoreperf.mspx

Regards,

Ax
Ax, Thanks for your speedy reply. I just did defrag both disks, also have done a few other things. I'll go through the routines on the link you posted and get back to you. Computer has not been this bogged down since I owned a 486! Denno

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI