This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow PC, referred from virus removal forums

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Was recommended by LDTate from the virus removal forum to start a post here as we have cleaned the system I think pretty well but I still have some issues… My original post was: I recently had a problem sorted out with some malware but now seem to have a slow pc. Programs seem to be taking a while to open, every time I shut down the pc there is a program not closing giving me the option to force close or not (never says what program though). Task manager shows a pretty busy pc as well. The strangest thing is every so often I see a pop up window towards the bottom right of the screen. However, this appears and disappears so quickly I have no chance to read and have no clue what the info is… its like a rapid flash of a pop up window gone in the blink of an eye? Odd…. Any advice or help would be appreciated. PC is currently slow but doesn't seem as bad as it was last week. Am I just being paranoid after the recent infection do you think? Cheers Obeeone
Hello Obeeone,

Could you give us a link to the previous topic?

I'll also get you to run something called PCPitstop so that we can see an overall report of your system. Just follow the instructions below :

Please use IE for the next steps. Chrome or Firefox aren't supported unfortunately.

Head over to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

At the top left of the page it should say "Sign up FREE". Click the button and create an account. Don't worry, it really is free.

Use a valid e-mail address and create a new password to login.

Go back to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit and click the green button that says "Scan this system Now!". You will be asked to download and install an Active-X Control. This is a normal part of the proccess, so it's safe to install.

The tests will take a few minutes and you will see some flashing shapes on your screen. If you suffer from epilepsy or are susceptible to nausea or motion sickness, try not to look at the screen whilst it does these graphical tests.


Once you get presented with the results, please copy and paste the URL from your browser in your next post.

Cheers,
Nahumi
Unfortunately with Malware or a Virus, even when successfully removed there is often Registry and/or OS file damage left behind caused either by the infection itself or it's removal. An OS showing odd and/or slow behavioral response is commonly the end result. :( Usually, the only solution to fixing OS file or Registry damage is an OS Repair Install unless a OS drive copy has been previously made (highly recommended), when the system was in a healthy state. Having 'live' Malware protection that stops Malware from infecting a PC in the first place, is the best way to go. The paid for version of MelwareBytes (live protection) would be the one program worth buying, even if all other protection is freeware. Cheers, Lee
You could try a program designed to speed up your PC. One which I use is Iobit Advanced System Care (I have listed the free version but the Pro version has a Deep Registry Scan) Removed Link You could try downloading that and then using the "Maintain Windows" section of it.
Hi there Redeye, I might just point out that WTT does not condone the recommendation of programs featuring Registry Cleaners :smack: Unless being used judiciously, registry cleaners are often the cause of many PC program and OS problems. They do not 'speed up' system performance and If anything, achieve the exact opposite result (or worse) when they unintentionaly 'clean' (delete) needed program and OS entries. Cheers, Lee PS. One from my Quote files: "The Registry is an enormous database and all this 'cleaning' really doesn’t amount to much. It's a bit like sweeping out one parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana” :lol:
Hi All Thanks for the info all, it would seem that a repair install might be my only course of action then? I was hoping for another alternative! I don't fancy installing anything that may have a question mark around it… think that got me into the trouble to begin with! Any other info appreciated, otherwise will start a reinstall over the weekend. Thanks again, Obeeone
You might like to visit this link obeeone. Perform a Repair for XP Installationhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx Cheers, Lee

Just my $.02…

I think you will be hard pressed to find any helper at most malware removal forums reccomending that anyone install Iobit Advanced System Care. In fact, I think you will find that the great majority will reccomend that you uninstall it as a rogue Program.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126267

Although I do think Iobit's actions were wrong, that is for their Anti-virus and not their System care.

I am sorry if it isn't recommended, but I haven't had any problems with it :unsure:

Just my $.02…

I think you will be hard pressed to find any helper at most malware removal forums reccomending that anyone install Iobit Advanced System Care. In fact, I think you will find that the great majority will reccomend that you uninstall it as a rogue Program.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126267

Although I do think Iobit's actions were wrong, that is for their Anti-virus and not their System care.

I am sorry if it isn't recommended, but I haven't had any problems with it :unsure:


Doug has a good info on this, but as I just found out not to long some think that Iobit's actions were not wrong, but if you look at what they are doing its close to a knock off from Malwarebytes programing and it not endoursed by many folks. Thats why we at WTT do not condone the use of the program.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI