This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Update

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cant download and install my updates, and what should my set program acess and defaults be set to. I am at the end of my rope here I have tried everything I know to try.
Automatic Updates should be selected (you can limit it to download and manual install if you prefer)
Background Intelligent Transfer (service) must be running.

Most often MS Updates will give you an Error Message if it is unable to scan for needed updates.

Have you completed the MS Updates procedures at:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…t.aspx?ln=en-us

To obtain Microsoft updates you must be using Internet Explorer later than version 5.0 and preferrable 6.0 or 7.0
If you are attempting to reach MS Downloads with an alternate browser like Opera or FireFox you will get an Error page indicating that you need to be running IE.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cant download and install my updates, and what should my set program acess and defaults be set to. I am at the end of my rope here I have tried everything I know to try.


Hi Kharley,

Here is an abundance of really good solutions for your Windows Update inability to download and install.

I do hope out of one of the threads you can find what is ailing your Windows Update procedure

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.htm…hreaded#2574620

Please post back if none are successful and others may come by to help you.
I tried these suggestions but nothing worked, I even went to do the kaspersky online scanner but couldn't do that either. I dont know what else to try, can someone tell me if the Belarc Advisor, or the RegCure would do any good if not is there such a software that may help, Thank you.

I tried these suggestions but nothing worked, I even went to do the kaspersky online scanner but couldn't do that either. I dont know what else to try, can someone tell me if the Belarc Advisor, or the RegCure would do any good if not is there such a software that may help, Thank you.


Kharley,

Suggest you answer Doug's question in his post.

You can download and run Belarc Advisor as it will tell you all about your computer espeically which Windows Updates are missing

I have no experience with Regcure at all.

I would do the following if I were you.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=6
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information.



Kind regards,
Hello kharley! I was having that problem also today. I managed to install the updates!

You might consider doing what I have done. Actually, this advise was given to me by my former boss.
1. Make a folder on C:\, and name it WinUpdate or anything you find convenient.
2. Download the latest Windows Update Agent [edited by Doug]. which can be obtained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494 (for most users, select WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe ) (If you are running a 64bit or Itanium version of XP Select the corresponding version)
3. Save it to the folder you created on C:\
4. Open the command prompt. You can go to Start > Run and type cmd and hit enter.
5. At the command promt type cd\ to get into the root folder.
6. Type cd WinUpdate (assuming WinUpdate is the folder name where you save the Windows Update Agent).
7. Once you're inside the fodler containing the Windows Update Agent, type WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce to run a force installation of the Update Agent.

Once installation is done, try downloading and installing the updates again. If it does not work, reboot your machine,

Hope this helps. Have fun!
I am running IE6 and I have also downloaded that update agent and installed it but it didn't work, I am ready to just swipe this thing and start over, I have never had this much trouble before. :(
How frustrating!!! :angry: If you are so inclined, please do run and post a PCPitstop Full Test so we can have a better overview. maybe something will turn up. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI