Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:19 PM

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cant download and install my updates, and what should my set program acess and defaults be set to. I am at the end of my rope here I have tried everything I know to try.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Automatic Updates should be selected (you can limit it to download and manual install if you prefer)
Background Intelligent Transfer (service) must be running.

Most often MS Updates will give you an Error Message if it is unable to scan for needed updates.

Have you completed the MS Updates procedures at:
http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

To obtain Microsoft updates you must be using Internet Explorer later than version 5.0 and preferrable 6.0 or 7.0
If you are attempting to reach MS Downloads with an alternate browser like Opera or FireFox you will get an Error page indicating that you need to be running IE.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:26 AM

Can someone PLEASE tell me why I cant download and install my updates, and what should my set program acess and defaults be set to. I am at the end of my rope here I have tried everything I know to try.

Hi Kharley,

Here is an abundance of really good solutions for your Windows Update inability to download and install.

I do hope out of one of the threads you can find what is ailing your Windows Update procedure

http://forums.cnet.c...hreaded#2574620

Please post back if none are successful and others may come by to help you.

#4 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

I tried these suggestions but nothing worked, I even went to do the kaspersky online scanner but couldn't do that either. I dont know what else to try, can someone tell me if the Belarc Advisor, or the RegCure would do any good if not is there such a software that may help, Thank you.

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

I tried these suggestions but nothing worked, I even went to do the kaspersky online scanner but couldn't do that either. I dont know what else to try, can someone tell me if the Belarc Advisor, or the RegCure would do any good if not is there such a software that may help, Thank you.

Kharley,

Suggest you answer Doug's question in his post.

You can download and run Belarc Advisor as it will tell you all about your computer espeically which Windows Updates are missing

I have no experience with Regcure at all.

I would do the following if I were you.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take about 2-3 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=6
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information.

Kind regards,

#6 Hurricane Andrew

Hurricane Andrew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hello kharley! I was having that problem also today. I managed to install the updates!

You might consider doing what I have done. Actually, this advise was given to me by my former boss.
1. Make a folder on C:\, and name it WinUpdate or anything you find convenient.
2. Download the latest Windows Update Agent [edited by Doug]. which can be obtained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494 (for most users, select WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe ) (If you are running a 64bit or Itanium version of XP Select the corresponding version)
3. Save it to the folder you created on C:\
4. Open the command prompt. You can go to Start > Run and type cmd and hit enter.
5. At the command promt type cd\ to get into the root folder.
6. Type cd WinUpdate (assuming WinUpdate is the folder name where you save the Windows Update Agent).
7. Once you're inside the fodler containing the Windows Update Agent, type WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce to run a force installation of the Update Agent.

Once installation is done, try downloading and installing the updates again. If it does not work, reboot your machine,

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Edited by Doug, 05 September 2007 - 12:23 PM.

#7 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

I am running IE6 and I have also downloaded that update agent and installed it but it didn't work, I am ready to just swipe this thing and start over, I have never had this much trouble before. :(

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

How frustrating!!! :angry: If you are so inclined, please do run and post a PCPitstop Full Test so we can have a better overview. maybe something will turn up. Best Regards

#9 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

I also tried to run the pcpitstop and the kaspersky to see if they could find anything but I couldn't run them either, Thank you.

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

Do you have JAVA JRE updated and installed?

#11 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:30 PM

I think so I have the runtime environment 6 update 1 and the java 6 update 2.