This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Non-Update of Automatic Microsoft Updates

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm another "computer illiterate" :rofl: who is NOT computer saavy> I have my home computer set on "Automatic Updates" from Microsoft. However, when I try to "install them", they WILL NOT take? I'm prompted to "restart" my computer of which I do. I then receive the same ICON (shield with exclamation point) in my tray with the same message that the updates are ready to install. Something in my computer system is apparently preventing the updates from "installing". How can I fix this? Remember, I'm "computer stupid" :rofl: and if you get too technical, I just "freek out" :huh: Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Have you checked to make sure that "automatic updates" are turned on..? Click on start, then "help and support" and go that route to update and see what you get then. Post back and let us know.
Hi. :) Thank you for your "prompt" response. I do have Microsoft Update turned "on" to receive automatic updates. I have 4 pending (downloaded) updates to be "installed". When I "click" on the microsoft shield that contains the exclamation point (sheild in my tray), the downloading process begins; however, at the end of the installation, a message will state that the updates were not successfully installed. It does not make a difference if I installed them by chosing "Express" or "Custom". Even going to the Microsoft website and trying to install them one-by-one (manually) does not change the outcome. What can I do to correct this problem? Thanks for the help> I am using Windows XP Home Edition.
Have you installed SP2 yet..? or is that what your trying to do..?

Try this link here Microsoft's Service Pack 2 for XP and go ahead and go through the entire process.. it will take a while being that SP2 is a rather large download (like 238mb or so). Then post back afterwards if you still have any poblems.
Boy was that a "fast response"! :weee: I purchased my home computer with the Windows XP Home Edition already installed. I "think" it has SP2? How do I find this out? Thanks.
click on start… control panel… then system icon. Under the first tab (the first page showing) it will show right under the version of windows.. if service pack is NOT installed it will simply say Windows XP Home version etc.etc..
well.. it may not have installed properly or may have gotten a few corrupt files during the download. I would try to download SP2 and "install it later"… that way you've a better chance of getting the service pack in its entirety without any corrupt files. In turn, you can also download this small application called Belarc Advisor here Belarc and it will give you a rundown of what hotfixes and updates have/have not been installed and if there is any problems with them
Hello. :wavey: Sorry that I took so long to get back with you. "Thank You" for the Belarc Advisor site. I was very surprised to see that it could detect and show me EVERYTHING that I have in and connected to my computer. Amazing! I downloaded the Windows XP SP2 as an ICON on my desktop. I was about to re-install the SP2 when I noticed that I had two (2) firewalls operating at the same time (Windows & ISP). So I closed the Windows Firewall. After closing it, the Microsoft "Shield with Exclamation Point" disappeared. Whether or not the updates were installed, I do not know? How do I find out? Another problem that I have been having is that my computer has been running "very slow". I keep getting a message that the "Macromedia Player is running very slow and that it could affect the operation of my computer". Also, once in a while, I get a message in my tray stating that the "virtual memory is running low". I have been deleting my cookies, temporary internet files, and history often. I also do a "disk cleanup" and a "deframentation" at least one a week. Is there anything else that you would suggest that I start doing? I REALLY appreciate all that you have been doing for me! Thanks. :D
Ok Belarc will tell you rather or not you need to reinstall any updates. You can go into the control panel and click on Windows Security and when it opens, in the left hand nav. menu, click on "change the Windows alerts me..etc" and simply uncheck all of those and it will prevent the tray notification from appearing. As far as performance goes.. you probably need to clean up your startup. How many icons do you have in your system tray…(where your clock is)..? Each icon there in your system tray is constantly sending and receiving information… therefore, taking up valuable resources. These applications are running and if your not using them theres no need for them to be. Click on "start".. then click on "run"… then type msconfig and press enter. Under the "startup" tab, uncheck all the applications you do not want to run when Windows starts.. (you can uncheck them all, your not uninstalling or deleting anything. Simply keeping it from starting with windows.) Then click "apply" then click "ok" then you will need to reboot. Upon rebooting you will recieve a popup saying "your using windows system configuration utility..etc..etc" simply place a check in the box at the bottom of the window to "not show this again" and then click "ok"… run that for awhile and see if that speeds up things any at all.
Hello Crow :wavey: I checked Belarc Advisory and it stated that I was missing 7 security updates. I went to the Microsoft website to download the XP SP2 but the website stated that I already had it and would not let me download it. I downloaded a SP2 patch but when I tried to install it, a message came up and stated that the current one in my computer was newer than the patch. So I remain "stuck again", not being able to correct my system to accept the security updates. I do "thank you" for the Belarc Advisory. It is really "nice"! :D Regarding the ICONs in my tray, I had 14, so I got rid of a few which DID improve the performance of my computer! Thank you SIR! :D I do appreciate all that you are doing for me!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI