This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Adobe Reader Installation Problems

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I’m not much of a techie person. I’ve had wonderful help from this forum in the past with a browser highjacking and have come to you today with something completely different. I’m hoping someone here can help me, or at least tell me how and where I can get the appropriate help.

The problem started in Feb. when I (tried to) update from Adobe Reader7 to Adobe Reader 8. I get error messages telling me that because of two residual dll files from version 7, version 8 cannot not be installed. I can download the program, however it will not complete the installation. I can’t tell you how many times over the past months I’ve tried to install this program. I’ve gone to the official Adobe website for support only to find their forum is for the general public to interact with one another and no support is given by actual Adobe staff. My question remains unanswered on their forum and there are many people with the same problem. I’ve called Adobe Support, only to be told it will cost me $39.00 US per incident to speak to a techie.

Adobe is obviously well aware of the problem and has issued a 3 page TechNote with 4 different solutions. I’ve tried all 4 solutions and my problem still remains. Error 1714 is what I get.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten…0&sliceId=2

From Adobe folder these are two ActiveX files remaining on my computer.

1) acroIEHelpe.dll 7.0.7.142. Adobe Helper Version 7.0 for ActiveX
- after trying to delete this file, I get the following error message
Cannot delete file, being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again
- no programs are open at all

2) pdfshell.dll 7.0.0.0 PDF shell Extension
After trying to delete this file, I get the following error message.
Make sure disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use.

Error message from Add and Remove Programs
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installation patch package.

From REGEDIT and Find, only one file appears and it will not delete. This is the path
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe /u "%1"

I have removed PhotoShop Elements so I have no other Adobe programs on my computer. I’ve tried installing older versions of Adobe Reader with no luck.

I’m just going around in circles and am fresh out of ideas what to do don’t know where to turn.


I’m wondering if the two remaining Adobe files can be identified and removed through a HighJackThis log? Which brings me to my second problem that I didn’t have in the past. I’ve just tried downloading HJT . A file sits on my desktop, however when I click to open it my computer doesn’t recognize the format of the file and asks me which program to open it up in. I have no idea. Now I’m at my wits end! :scratch:

Before I pay Adobe $40.00 or a computer repair guy $100.00 and hour to look at my computer can anyone one here please help me? Thanks for listening!

I’m not much of a techie person. I’ve had wonderful help from this forum in the past with a browser highjacking and have come to you today with something completely different. I’m hoping someone here can help me, or at least tell me how and where I can get the appropriate help.

The problem started in Feb. when I (tried to) update from Adobe Reader7 to Adobe Reader 8. I get error messages telling me that because of two residual dll files from version 7, version 8 cannot not be installed. I can download the program, however it will not complete the installation. I can’t tell you how many times over the past months I’ve tried to install this program. I’ve gone to the official Adobe website for support only to find their forum is for the general public to interact with one another and no support is given by actual Adobe staff. My question remains unanswered on their forum and there are many people with the same problem. I’ve called Adobe Support, only to be told it will cost me $39.00 US per incident to speak to a techie.

Adobe is obviously well aware of the problem and has issued a 3 page TechNote with 4 different solutions. I’ve tried all 4 solutions and my problem still remains. Error 1714 is what I get.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten…0&sliceId=2

From Adobe folder these are two ActiveX files remaining on my computer.

1) acroIEHelpe.dll 7.0.7.142. Adobe Helper Version 7.0 for ActiveX
- after trying to delete this file, I get the following error message
Cannot delete file, being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again
- no programs are open at all

2) pdfshell.dll 7.0.0.0 PDF shell Extension
After trying to delete this file, I get the following error message.
Make sure disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use.

Error message from Add and Remove Programs
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installation patch package.

From REGEDIT and Find, only one file appears and it will not delete. This is the path
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe /u "%1"

I have removed PhotoShop Elements so I have no other Adobe programs on my computer. I’ve tried installing older versions of Adobe Reader with no luck.

I’m just going around in circles and am fresh out of ideas what to do don’t know where to turn.


I’m wondering if the two remaining Adobe files can be identified and removed through a HighJackThis log? Which brings me to my second problem that I didn’t have in the past. I’ve just tried downloading HJT . A file sits on my desktop, however when I click to open it my computer doesn’t recognize the format of the file and asks me which program to open it up in. I have no idea. Now I’m at my wits end! :scratch:

Before I pay Adobe $40.00 or a computer repair guy $100.00 and hour to look at my computer can anyone one here please help me? Thanks for listening!


Hello 'miffed',

I had sometime ago a similar problem as you and finally downloaded the following software called Windows Install Cleanup utility here

Please be careful and only highlight the exact software you want to uninstall.

Since being a member here at TC I have learned that Adobe is a resource hogger so may I suggest after you uninstall all Adobe software readers you may like to install Foxit which is not. Please take a look here

Do not hesitate to get back to us if there is more help needed.

kind regards,
Hi miffed,

Please don't run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, quite just yet.
(Maybe later, but not right now)

Try Re-Booting into SAFE Mode
navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\plug_ins\
Find the file named updater.api and Rename it to updater.old

and then try Control Panel - Add/Remove to complete the Uninstall operation.
(this, of course, depends on whether or not Adobe is still present in Add/Remove)
_______________

Next, while still in SAFE Mode, Navigate again to C:\Program Files\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
________

Next Run Regedit….

Start - Run - (type)regedit - Enter

Backup your Registry by using the Export function, for safety sake.

Next navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe

Next navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
_______________

Reboot your machine.


You should be now free of all Adobe Reader files and folders.

You should also now be able to install Adobe 8.0 (if you wish to) (I don't use it anymore because it's a resource hog)

Or, you can follow the excellent advice from Tallin to install Foxit as your .pdf reader.

Best Regards
:wavey: Hi tallin and Doug, thanks for your speedy replies. My response is in green


Hi miffed,

Please don't run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, quite just yet.
(Maybe later, but not right now) OK
- Before coming to this forum and following Adobe's suggestions from the link in my original post, the 2 ActiveX files still remained after running the installer cleanup. After running that utility I couldn't access MS Office Word any longer :rant2: and had to do a system restore, which thankfully worked. To be honest, I'm not in any hurry to try that utility again and have deleted it from my computer.


Try Re-Booting into SAFE Mode
navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\plug_ins\
Find the file named updater.api and Rename it to updater.old
because I had tried deleting the Adobe program before coming to this forum, there are only two ActiveX files left (as listed in my original post), so "plug_ins" is not found, so I had nothing to rename, but I tried to move on anyway and progressed a bit.
- I tried to delete the two remaining files and was successful in removing one.
- I am now left with the pdfshell.dll file inside the ActiveX folder.
- this is the error message I get when I try to delete it
Make sure disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use.



and then try Control Panel - Add/Remove to complete the Uninstall operation.
(this, of course, depends on whether or not Adobe is still present in Add/Remove)
- yes the Adobe file is still present
- When I try to remove this file I'm told I can't do this in safe mode.


_______________

Next, while still in SAFE Mode, Navigate again to C:\Program Files\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
- will not delete because of the remaining ActiveX file
- however I continued with your instructions

________

Next Run Regedit….

Start - Run - (type)regedit - Enter

Backup your Registry by using the Export function, for safety sake.

Next navigate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
- done
Next navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe
Delete the Entire Folder that is named Adobe
- done

Please note:
- there is one Adobe folder left in this section called "Adobe Systems Incorporated"
- Inside that folder is another folder called AUM45Patch
- inside the second folder is a folder called 1.00.0000

Please go back to my orginal post and note Adobe 8 can't be installed because of version 7 PATCH

I was tempted to remove this folder as well, however thought I should wait for your instruction.

_______________

Reboot your machine.


You should be now free of all Adobe Reader files and folders.
Sorry, I'm not. The Adobe folder is still there with the one ActiveX pdfshell.dll file. I still cannot delete that last dll file.

You should also now be able to install Adobe 8.0 (if you wish to) (I don't use it anymore because it's a resource hog)
- tried installing Adobe 8.0 and am told I still can't because of remaining Adobe 7 files

Or, you can follow the excellent advice from Tallin to install Foxit as your .pdf reader.
Thanks Tallin, for that wonderful advice, you're a life saver! :thumbup: I've downloaded it and it's solved my immediate problem, at least I can read my pdf documents now. I appreciate the tip.

If you don't mind, I'd still like to continue to remove this remaining psety Adobe ActiveX file. I feel we're very close!

As I don't have any other Adobe programs on my computer at the moment, can I go ahead and delete the Adobe Systems Incorporated
folder?

Thanks Tallin, for that wonderful advice, you're a life saver! I've downloaded it and it's solved my immediate problem, at least I can read my pdf documents now. I appreciate the tip.


Hi Again miffed,

Sorry you are still having problems with Adobe.

I am pleased however that I could help in some small way with the Foxit Reader installation.

Doug I know will reply to the remaining part of your reply with excellent results in the end.

Be patient as I know he is very busy at this time.

kind regards,
Hi Miffed,

(These instructions are for Miffed only, in this specific situation.)
(Other readers, please use caution when reading instructions that apply to another user's machine and system)
Yes, you can go ahead and delete all Adobe files and folders
Yes, you can go ahead and delete any Adobe Folder in Registry at the following locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe <– The Adobe Folder Only
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Adobe <– The Adobe Folder Only

Please note, that you will have to reinstall such utilities as Adobe FlashPlayer, Adobe Macromedia Shockwave(player), and Adobe PhotoShop……….. if you will be using any of those.

As for Reading .pdf files, I'd sure recommend that you continue with Foxit.

Please note, that just saying that it is OK to Delete a file or Folder does not mean that it will cooperate and easily allow itself to be deleted.

Therefore, Please post back with specifics of any Files or Folders that continue to be stubborn.
Also if you are successful in removing the files and folders, but Adobe still appears in your Control Panel - Add/Remove, please inform us.

Note: Please just post a short separate list of the problem Files and/or Folders, with their complete Address.
And, of course, feel free to add any additional specific questions. :)
For instance,
–C:\Program Files\Adobe\(nameoffile)
–Specific Questions

Please Do Not use the method of Quoting and adding your comments in Green.
(I think that's where I lost track of you in your last post. Sorry. :oops: )

If Files remain stubborn, I'll be recommending a utility to deal with it/them.

Best Regards
Thanks Doug

I do not have any Adobe programs on my computer at the moment.

No Adobe files remain in HKEY_Current_User\Software\Adobe
No Adobe files remain in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe
I have deleted the “Adobe Systems Incorporated” folder with the AUM45Patch folder from HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe.

I have rebooted my computer.

The following stubborn folders remain:

C:/Program Files/ Adobe folder/Acrobat 7.0 folder/ActiveX folder/pdf.dll 7.0.0.0 PFD Shell Extension size: 108 KB

When I try to delete the dll extension I still get the following message:.
“Cannot delete pdfshell.dll: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.”

When I go to Add/Remove the Adobe 7.0.8 file still exists.
Size: 61.48MB
When I attempt to remove it I still get the following message:
“Windows installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if running in Windows safe mode or if Windows Installer is not currently installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.”
Hi Miffed,

Hopefully your Foxit is performing well for your School related needs.
______________

Download and Run this Utility: "Unlocker"
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Use it to uninstall this remaining file: pdf.dll 7.0.0.0 PDF Shell Extension

Then Delete the Parent - Adobe Folder (which now should be empty)

If you are successful with the above, it is "now" time to use the MS Installer CleanUp Utility, as previously recommended by Tallin in an earlier post of this thread.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

CAUTION
When you run MS Installer CleanUp Utility —- Be sure you "only" apply it to: Adobe 7.0.8

This final step "should" cause Adobe 7.0.8 to disappear from the Add/Remove List.

Note: If you allow Installer CleanUp Utility to apply itself to any other applications or files they may fail to run as expected, and you would have to reinstall them.

Please post back with your Progress.

Best Regards
Doug, "Unlocker" worked instantly! :thumbup: The Adobe folders are gone from Program Files. I'll do the MS Installer CleanUp Utility tomorrow when my husband is around as I had some problems with it last time I used it. I appreciate your warnings, thank you! Yes Foxit works well, next is to reinstall Photoshop Elements! I'll report back after running the MS clean up.
did it myself! B) BRAVO!!! I'm free of the Adobe dll file! It no longer shows up in Add/Remove, it's gone gone gone! Are we done now? Doug and tallin, thank you both so very much. Doug I appreciate your step by step percise directions and your patience with me! Have a wonderful long weekend! (no longer) miffed :-)

did it myself! B)

BRAVO!!! I'm free of the Adobe dll file! It no longer shows up in Add/Remove, it's gone gone gone!
Are we done now?

Doug and tallin, thank you both so very much. Doug I appreciate your step by step percise directions and your patience with me!

Have a wonderful long weekend!

(no longer) miffed :-)


Hi "No longer miffed".

Firstly very well done with your step by step conclusion re your Adobe problem.

Doug as always guides us all to the correct ending.

I include a URL from this forum of last February similar to yours but a different version of Adobe and certainly a quicker result and ending.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Adobe_Reader…l&hl=tallin

No long weekend here, but then every day is a bonus when one is older! :thumbdown:

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI