This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Adobe Reader

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Adobe Reader version 7.09 stopped working meaning a document would not open it worked a couple days ago so I tried a system restore to that date but it didn't help. I tried to update from Adobe.com and an error came up. I tried to do a complete overwrite install and that didn't work. I tried to uninstall it completely through add and remove so I could do a new install, but a box came up that says as follows This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contactthe application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package. I went to the Microsoft download page to see if they had any solutions to this problem but I could find nothing similar. I have ran spybot (clean) ad-aware and removed a couple tracking cookies I also did a hijack this but there was no mention of an adobe in this. If you have any suggestions or solutions I would really appreciate it as I print a lot of PDF files through adobe Thank-You Jenallan
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problems with Adobe.

When you try and uninstall a programme, it's important to make sure that no elements of it are running (or trying to run) so if you haven't already tried this from a reboot, then it's worth giving it a go.

If this does not help then it might be best to use the Windows installer clean up tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

This may pave the way for a good uninstall/reinstall.
Download a new fresh copy of Adobe or use one from a disc rather than using one already on your machine (that might have been corrupted.)
Regards
paws

My Adobe Reader version 7.09 stopped working meaning a document would not open it worked a couple days ago so I tried a system restore to that date but it didn't help. I tried to update from Adobe.com and an error came up. I tried to do a complete overwrite install and that didn't work. I tried to uninstall it completely through add and remove so I could do a new install, but a box came up that says as follows
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contactthe application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package. I went to the Microsoft download page to see if they had any solutions to this problem but I could find nothing similar. I have ran spybot (clean) ad-aware and removed a couple tracking cookies I also did a hijack this but there was no mention of an adobe in this. If you have any suggestions or solutions I would really appreciate it as I print a lot of PDF files through adobe Thank-You Jenallan

Thank-you for responding when I went to the site you suggested and I clicked to download the clean-up utility., a box came up that said "Windows script host access is disabled on this machine. Contact your administrator for details. I am the only user of this computer and have full adm. rights
Jenallan,

Reboot your machine,"Install" Adobe (again) …. prior to attempting to Uninstall from Add and Remove - If things are no better, you can do the following.

Alternatively download Foxit from the following site to tide you over until a further "Staff Member's" post can get you out of trouble with Adobe.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Hope this helps you short time.

Best regards,
Thank you all for your help. The problem is solved now and I have been able to insrall Adobe Reader 8. What I did was go through windows explorer and delete everything that was related to Adobe Reader and then I did a search and did the same….. then a disk clean-up and defrag againplus re-boot… After this I was able to go to the Adobe site and install the latest version. Thanks again for the help Jen Allan
:D Good work, well done. Keep the foxit URL as it is a good one, and a smaller program than Adobe. I have it and it works well. Best regards,
Hi jenallan, I was very pleased to hear that your issue with Adobe is now sorted out, Well done. I do know how annoying it can be when an uninstall/reinstall proves so difficult, so I think congratulations to you are in order. Also thanks go to to tallin, I will keep her link to "foxit" in my directory/folder labelled "useful stuff" Regards to you both. paws
Oh Gee Paws, you have been talking privately to dough - I bet my bottom dollar on that. Dough edits all my posts as if he didn't I would create havoc on here! All the best and thanks for your recent help to me.
To Paws and Tailin I to have put that site into my directory as well. Thank-you both very much for your help which was both quick and informative. The Tom Coyote site is so helpful for people like me who use and enjoy their computers but sometimes get baffled by the complexity of what seems like simple issues. I come to the site sometimes to read other posts and I record other peoples problems and the solutions they are given and in this way I have learned much in keeping my computer running as smoothly as possible. Thanks again and keep up the good work. sincerely Jen Allan
Hi tallin, It been some time now since I have "spoken" to Dough, but I know he would never even try to edit your posts….he's too much of a gentleman! Anyway do feel free…we need a bit of havoc now and again! Regards paws
Hi Jen Allan, Thank you so much for your kind words. I do know exactly what you mean when you mention being baffled by sometthing. A customer who is shortly moving to France from the UK brought his computer in for us to set up his Internet and email etc. I quickly logged on to the home page of a French ISP as I thought it would take the usual 5 or 10 minutes at most. Boy was I mistaken! With French dictionary in one hand and searching the screen for any thing that remotely looked like "Sign up" I was still fiddling about one and a half hours later! What seems so easy in English was a big problem for me in French ( I don't speak the language at all!) and you can say that I was really baffled! He's up and running now but I will have a lot more sympathy with folks on this forum (which is truly international) especially when English is not their mother tongue. Best regards paws
<_< G'day Paws, Yes Dough is a Gentleman that is for sure! It's true he does do a little editing from time to time, not he actually, but draws my attention with a PM when I tend to run amuck with my odd reply to a thread. Believe me it is true! I am far better asking for help than giving it Paws. Best regards,
Hi jenallan, glad to hear you sorted out the adobe problem – I had the exact same problem before xmas – very frustrating – I fixed it the same way you did – then I uninstalled it – and like talin recommended I downloaded foxit reader which is only 1.5megs compared to the large size of adobe – very small and does exactly the same thing –

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI