This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Registry problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am attempting to install Adobe Reader 8 halfway into the install status shows : Writing System Registry I get an error message Error 1402 Could not open Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\…\{06849E9F-C8d7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. I looked in registrar Lite and under Browser Helper Objects Access is denied. This is my own personal computer. About a year ago I rec'd some help with a hijack issue did this effect the registry?
Sounds like you have some software monitoring and locking the registry (which is a good idea) Have you got spybot's tea timer installed at all, if not what other security software do you use ?
Howdy, Check and see if the tea timer function is running in spybot's search & destroy ..

1) Run Spybot-S&D
2) Go to the Mode menu, and make sure "Advanced Mode" is selected
3) On the left hand side, choose Tools -> Resident
Now see if tea timer is active.. if so
4) Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts
5) Restart your computer.
Excellent instructions …Thanks. The version does not have Tea Timer, should I update Spybot to include this feature, Does the tea timer act in real time?
If you do not have tea timer running then you can stop defender from running to see if this helps you, as far as I know (although I could be wrong) the personal edition of adaware does not have the real time protection active so this would rule out adaware interfering.

Open Windows Defender
Click Tools
Click Under Settings -> Options
Scroll down to Real Time Protection Options
Uncheck Use Time Protection (recommended)
Now Scroll down to where it says Administrator Options
Uncheck the option Use windows defender
Now click on the save button and Defender should close down
You can reverse these actions once you have finished and re-enable Defender once again.

Note: If you cannot see the icon in the start menu for windows defender then go to start menu -> run -> copy and paste in the following…
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe


As for spybot I would say yes to updating to the latest vers which is currently 1.4, Just for info adaware should be at version 1.06r1, if it is below this then update this too.

Hope this is of help to you
Howdy - sorry for delays… family and xmas !!!

I still have a feeling that a security program is stopping the access. Do you still have HJT onboard your computer ? If not please download it again from this link here -> http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Make sure it is not running from a temp directory. Create a directory called HJT on your c:/ drive and unzip the file to there. Once done use the first button to scan and create log, post the list of running processes only as a reply (The first part of the log - not any of the numbered lines)

etc : Sample….

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

Please do not post any other part of the log (R1 entries onwards), thanks

Pardon my interruption



Not a problem, feel free, as far as im concerned we are all here to help out where we can and teamwork goes a long way :D

Def worth checking out but be very carefull with the registry, if you follow the information provided just make sure you back up your registry before proceeding as shown in the steps on the web page.
Family is important hope you had a good holiday. I'm a bit rusty at posting the log but here it is I hope I cut off log at right point I no you stated no numbers but was not sure exactly what you were referring to, but I value your assistance Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YPAGER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe C:\HijackThis1\HijackThis.exe
Howdy, the only thing I can see that could possibly interfere is Windows Defender, as you have already tried disabling this and installing adobe without success I would follow Ax238's advice and follow the instrutions on the link (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329137.html) then see how you get on from there.

On the page it states the following

The 1402 Windows Installer error occurs when the Windows Installer is unable to read a particular registry key. Installation may fail because the Acrobat installer attempts to clean up registry keys of previous versions of Acrobat to avoid conflicts with Acrobat plug-ins and add-ins for third-party software. Error 1406 occurs when the installer cannot successfully write a registry key essential for installation.

I would follow Solution 1 first then, if that fails move on to solution 2

Regards..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI