This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Log On Help!

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi ya all. I have another problem. I got a notification that updates were ready from Microsoft. I downloaded. BUT the shield WON'T go away and says the same 3 updates are ready. :( :wall:

After a reboot. Now my pc will NOT log onto my settings/desktop.
I get the error or note at the beginning of the screen log on that says….
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.


Then it said it would log me onto Windows but each time would be new and no info would be saved. It's like the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray! :wall:

What can I do to get this thing set back to me. I am supposed to be the only user. :scratch:

Thank you ahead of time….Lynne

PS. I would try system restore but I don't have the option under the accessories/system tools at all.

Hi ya all. I have another problem. I got a notification that updates were ready from Microsoft. I downloaded. BUT the shield WON'T go away and says the same 3 updates are ready. :( :wall:


Have you got Microsoft Updates set for Automatic or Custom?

What did you download? What were the 3 updates?

Are they showing in your Add and Remove once you know what they were? Were they successfully downloaded and installed? Were they Hardware?

Tell us more so we can help.

kind regards,
Sorry. KB917283, KB922770, KB928365 KB928365 is installed I don't see KB922770 & KB917283. I clicked the show updates. I had selected auto at first. Then once they downloaded I checked to see if they had as custom. Because it wouldn't go away.
I also found something else out I did not know. I had a pc tech take my hard drive last month to fix some issues. IE 7 problems. He did a complete clean and reinstall XP. I just tried to do a scannow. It asked for my 2 cd set of windows XP professional. I don't HAVE Professional. I am supposed to have Home Edition. :rant2: So I think I'm stumped. I have to call him back out until I can buy a new hard drive? :unsure: For which at this point in time looks like I'll be a great grandmother before I can. :blink:

I also found something else out I did not know. I had a pc tech take my hard drive last month to fix some issues. IE 7 problems. He did a complete clean and reinstall XP. I just tried to do a scannow. It asked for my 2 cd set of windows XP professional. I don't HAVE Professional. I am supposed to have Home Edition. :rant2: So I think I'm stumped. I have to call him back out until I can buy a new hard drive? :unsure: For which at this point in time looks like I'll be a great grandmother before I can. :blink:


Goodness, I had another post written to send to you, but you need to see your Tech ASAP. Where is your Windows XP/SP2 CD?

Sorry you are having so many problems here.

kind regards,
I have my CD and the other operating cd's. Thankfully! Can I reinstall my cd? I'll have to burn some stuff off before I redo it. But not a lot. I've done it a few times before but a bit rusty. I thought when I got it back it looked kinda funny but I chalked it up to maybe the way he set it up. :wall:

I have my CD and the other operating cd's. Thankfully! Can I reinstall my cd? I'll have to burn some stuff off before I redo it. But not a lot. I've done it a few times before but a bit rusty. I thought when I got it back it looked kinda funny but I chalked it up to maybe the way he set it up. :wall:


I am glad you have your Operating System CD.

Would you consider backing up your important documents and all things you do not want lost in this operation, reformatting your HD and then installing Windows XP/SP2 yourself. Before I did anything I would go and see your "Tech" and ask what exactly he did do to your system? But I would do the reistallation yourself if you feel confident to do it.

Good luck and get back to TC if you require more help.

kind regards,
Hi again. I did not solve the problem with my user profile. But I did bypass it until I can get another PC. I am going to retire this one to the home office since my hubby doesn't do alot that would need to be upgraded so much. Then I can reinstall my original cd. What I did was create a new profile. I then drug all of my info but one thing to the new profile. It's worked good BUT I can't figure out where my folders are hidden with my Incredimail letters and saved addresses etc. Also the darn shield won't go away. I'd like to blow that thing up. :rofl: I know, I know. INCREDIMAIL. I'm an Incredimail junkie. Can someone help me get rid of that shield and/ or at least help me find my info I need to fix my mail?

Hi again. BUT I can't figure out where my folders are hidden with my Incredimail letters and saved addresses etc. Also the darn shield won't go away. I'd like to blow that thing up. :rofl:

I know, I know. INCREDIMAIL. I'm an Incredimail junkie. Can someone help me get rid of that shield and/ or at least help me find my info I need to fix my mail?


Hi again Starwalker,

It is not a good idea to hide the Update Yellow Icon in your Systems Tray unless you really know what you are doing here.

What are the updates that are trying to download and install? Please give details of them.

I am looking into Incredimail for you regarding finding your folders and addresses. I am downloading it to have a look how it works at the moment.

ANSWER. I would download and install it again if you really want it, uninstall it first from Add and Remove and then re-install Incredimail and it should be fine.

kind regards,
Hi
TY for replying. It actually started fresh and new. I haven't had any problems with the program itself. When this pc went down and wouldn't let me use my profile. I have emails that just came in and no way to get them.

The updates were/are KB917283, KB922770, KB928365

KB928365 installed but thats when I lost my profile. :rant2: The other two I don't see on add/remove programs altho when I rebooted they said they installed. Still not there and they keep saying ready to install with the shield. idk if it's because of the XP version he put in here or if there's something else not allowing them.

brb I'll post what Microsoft says they are for.

Ok here they are…
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB917283)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain access to restricted data. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com


Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB922770)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain access to restricted data. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com


Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com

Hi
TY for replying. It actually started fresh and new. I haven't had any problems with the program itself. When this pc went down and wouldn't let me use my profile. I have emails that just came in and no way to get them.


Hello again Starwalker,

I really think you need to sort out with the Tech you first took your Computer to as to what OS you are going to go with. If you want Windows XP/SP2 (you told me you have that OS CD) I would get him to reformat and install XP/SP2. Please backup your important files and folders before you do anything.

If you are going to upgrade to Windows XP Professional then you need him to install it after reformatting and supply you with the Windows XP Professional CD. Only then will you have success with Updating your Windows Updates successfully. It is mandatory here in Australia that the OS CD must be supplied with all computers sold. Do remember most importantly whatever OS you stay with, update all the Windows Updates immediately the installation is completed for safety for your Computer.

As far as Incredimail is concerned that in my opinion is minor to sorting out the OS problem above with your Tech. Once done, then download and install Incredimail again. Then using your same Username and Passwork should pick up your addresses and emails much the same as Yahoo Messenger or Skype does when updating a version update.

Good luck and kind regards, :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI