This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Quicktime Issues

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Whenever I try to install Itunes+QuickTime I get this error box: could not open key: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\QuickTime. QuickTime\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact you support personnel. Running Windows XP 512 ram Itunes did work fine up until approx 2 months ago. Now nothing.

Whenever I try to install Itunes+QuickTime I get this error box:

could not open key:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\QuickTime.
QuickTime\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient
access to that key, or contact you support personnel.

Running Windows XP
512 ram

Itunes did work fine up until approx 2 months ago. Now nothing.


Hi Retnavyac,

Are you updating Itunes +Quicktime or attempting to do a clean install?

If you already have Itunes + Quicktime showing as installed in your Add and Remove I would uninstall and attempt a clean install.

I would also update your RAM if you are able to do that as these days with large software programs 512 really is not enough. (If you do, make particularly sure you buy the exact same RAM you are now running)

Also there is a very good program called Windows install Clean Up
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Wind…load-18442.html

Please be very careful when using it and only click on the exact program you want to clean up. I only use this program after I have uninstalled in Add and Remove.

Please also let us know how much free space you have on your HD.

Please feel free to get back to us if you have more questions - perhaps someone else will offer their help with another idea for you also.

kind regards,
Sorry, I should have been more clear in the description of my problem. 22 gb on c: (boot) 50 gb on d: (backup) 02 gb on e: (recover) OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name AVA System Manufacturer MEDIONPC System Model AWRDACPI System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1792 Mhz BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 8/13/2002 SMBIOS Version 2.3 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)" User Name AVA\Kristen Time Zone Central Daylight Time Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB Available Physical Memory 62.80 MB Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB Page File Space 1.22 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys Now for what's going on. I believe that I mistakenly changed something on my registry. I was using regedit to verify some permissions and I must have done something that I shouldn't. I am unable to run explorer, I was using 6.0, or upgrade. I can not install certain Microsoft (Windows) programs or updates. Everything that doesn't seem to install refer's to a persmissions issue or was unable to create a key. I am unable to do a system restore at all. When I attempt to open it all I get is a blank window. As far as I have been able to determine it is only an issue with explorer and windows. My wife is able to use her outlook express as usual and I downloaded both Navigator and Firefox, and the two of them work fine. If it wasn't for the Ipods in the house I wouldn't be that concerned with it, but they are useless without Itunes as you know. Quicktime does not show up as an installed file in the add/remove page, but is in the "C" drive is "sys32". I really don't want to do a re-install of windows but ?????
Greetings Retnavyac I think you are on to something with the permission tweaking. Here is a snip of something I found on this issue: To fix the HKLM issue - use regedit, navigate to the key and you’ll probably get a warning message about permissions. You need to right click, select permissions and then take ownership of the key (assign ownership to Administrators for example) then click OK (ignore any warnings) until the dialogue boxes are closed. Go back in to the permissions and adjust as required. You may need to refresh the key list after changing permission and apply permissions to each subkey… Good luck. end of snip The assigning of ownership is the key thing I am guessing. Regards Kaz.

Greetings Retnavyac

I think you are on to something with the permission tweaking.

Here is a snip of something I found on this issue:

To fix the HKLM issue - use regedit, navigate to the key and you’ll probably get a warning message about permissions. You need to right click, select permissions and then take ownership of the key (assign ownership to Administrators for example) then click OK (ignore any warnings) until the dialogue boxes are closed. Go back in to the permissions and adjust as required. You may need to refresh the key list after changing permission and apply permissions to each subkey… Good luck.

end of snip

The assigning of ownership is the key thing I am guessing.


Regards

Kaz.


Hi Retnavyac,

I do not have an answer to your problem except to stress to you never change anything in your Registry unless you back up your entire System and Registry first.

You could roll back in Systems Restore to a date before you did 'fiddle' within your Registry but other than that an expert would most likely advise you to reformat your HD.

Good luck with kind regards,
Unfortunately, that is what I am afraid I am going to have to do. I have already backed up my documents and email on the "D" drive in preparation. I have the MS Works CD and the Application and Support CD. Pretty sure the system didn't come with a Windows XP cd. I have heard that it should be partitioned off on my "C" drive???? From this point I have no idea as to what to do next. Any guidance would be appreciated. Retnavyac

Unfortunately, that is what I am afraid I am going to have to do. I have already backed up my documents and email on the "D" drive in preparation. I have the MS Works CD and the Application and Support CD. Pretty sure the system didn't come with a Windows XP cd. I have heard that it should be partitioned off on my "C" drive???? From this point I have no idea as to what to do next. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Retnavyac


Retnavyac

Try the following to rebuild your registry and see if this will help -

Rebuild registry if inadvertedly delete items

Try this. Close IE and go to Start > Run>type command> and run the following commands one after the other and hit Enter after each line.

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 comcat.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. Now reboot and let us know if this helped.


If no joy I suggest you may like to do the following:

Have you got your Windows XP/SP2 CD and registration #? To reformat that is what you need to be safe.

Have you got a separate backup system software program onto an internal removeable HD? If not you need to backup your important documents onto rewritable CD's (700MB) not to your HD as you are going to reformat it and most likely will loose all your data.

For your Email backup (OE) you can use the following and also put it onto a CD.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

Did you try a Systems Restore as suggested in my last post? Worth it as it may work if you know the day you changed your registry.

Get back to us if you have more questions.

Kind regards,
tallin, thanks for trying to help, but all appears lost. system restore does not work. window opens but the page remains blank, kinda like its hanging. i'm willing to let someone log on remotely, but don't know if that would work either. while in the Navy I went to Australia two different times. Been to Gladstone, Qld (ex-wife) is from there, Sidney and Perth. Wonderful place ya'll got there, I'll have to back sometime in the future with my family. thanks again. retnavyac

tallin, thanks for trying to help, but all appears lost. system restore does not work. window opens but the page remains blank, kinda like its hanging. i'm willing to let someone log on remotely, but don't know if that would work either. while in the Navy I went to Australia two different times. Been to Gladstone, Qld (ex-wife) is from there, Sidney and Perth. Wonderful place ya'll got there, I'll have to back sometime in the future with my family. thanks again.

retnavyac


Hi again,

Surely you are not going to give up! You have not answered my questions in my last post except to tell me that System Restore will not work.

Please try to do the registry repair I offered you and also tell me if you have the Windows XP CD along with your registered #. (You have got a registered OS I hope) If you have insert it into your CD ROM and choose Repair Installation, then you should not loose your data.

Hopefully, a repair installation will fix the OS without compromising any data/emails/installed applications.

Get back to us if you would like more help.

I am not too far from Gladstone, and yes you are welcome back here anytime, sorry to have to say this, but we do live in the best country in the world! Bye the way the Kitty Hawk has just left Brisbane with 5500 folk on it. That is the last diesel powered Aircraft carrier to ever visit here as all your others are nuclear powered. Some site it was although I only saw it on TV as I am 2 hours west of Brisbane thank goodness.

kind regards, and good luck
Sorry, thought I had answered your questions, my fault. When trying to repair the registry as you last suggested line by line, all entries were successful but it made no difference with my issues. The only cd's I have are application and support and Microsoft Works. The OS is registered, but was preinstalled on the computer. I heard that it is not that uncommon to not have the OS cd. If that is wrong, I will dig through my boxes and see if I can locate it. Any other questions that I missed? By the way I was on the USS Cayuga that pulled into Gladstone in 1986. I know it was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly we were the first U.S. warship since WWII that pulled into Gladstone. Thanks again for your help. I'll check back later after work. Retnavyac
What Brand-name is your machine. Apparently, you have a D:\ drive or partition. (you mentioned saving your outlook .pst files to D:\, I think?) On machines with pre-installed Windows Operating System, the manufacturer typically creates a Restore Partition. This is usually assigned to D:\ drive/partition Is that true of your machine? You may not have "received" a System Recovery CD. But you may have the ability to "Create System Recovery CD(s)" (usually takes 5 CD's or 2 DVD's) Do you have CD-Writing ability? Do you have DVD-Writing ability? Look in your Administrative Tools. There should be an item listed for "Create System Recovery CDs" Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools *** Caution: You only get one chance to Create System Recovery CD <– important! (They don't want people creating a bunch of pirated copies of Windows, so they limit it) (Once you use it to Create System Recovery CDs, you can never use it again!) Let us know if you have the above features. Whether or not you decide to use System Recovery CD's to resolve your current problems, it is a very good idea to Create the disks and place them in a SAFE location, in case you need them in the future. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI