This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

QuickTimes and Itunes won't install

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, so it started when my Itunes wasnt working right. when I tried to use it, it said the quicktime was not installed correctly. so, I uninstalled both, removed all of the remnants, and reinstalled both. before they were able to finish installing, i get an error message that said: "writing to file C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime.Resources\QuickTime.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory" after doing a little research online, there were a few others who stated the same problem and said it may be a virus. I have spent the last 2 weeks with another tech guy from here and we tried all kinds of things and just couldn't get it to work. any ideas? Rhiannon
I have read your whole HJT thread you had running with LDTate.
  • Does Itunes or Quicktime show in your Add and Remove utility?
  • If not, please do the following:
  • Go to C:\Program Files, then delete the entire QuickTime folder.
  • Click Start - Find/Search - All Files And Folders, select the hard drive ( C: ) to look in, type in QuickTime, then click Find/Search. when the list of files appear, right-click on and delete all the ones that you confirm are associated with QuickTime.
Please report back with the result before I suggest the next idea to you.

kind regards,
it said: "error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty. Quick Time Date created: 2008-09-10 12:29" so, i went in and opened them all up individually and deleted them like that, until…. I got to the one file that was causing that error. yay!! i hope this is it. this is the: "Quick TIme.Resources file folder." it kicked out this error: "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and won't let me open or delete it.
Rhiannon,

Does Itunes or Quicktime show in your Add and Remove utility?

You have not answered my question above in quotes. Please do so, then we can proceed with the help you are needing. It is a Yes or No answer….thanks

Best regards,
Rhiannon,

Please backup your system especially the contents of your Itunes software before doing the following:

Please go to this site, read all about what the utility does, then and only then please run it to see if it cleans up any left over Quicktime/Itunes files. Reboot and try to install again.

Best regards,
read through it all, backed everything up, installed and restarted. still no luck… began the install and got to the same point, about 8/10 of the way there and then gave me the same error.
Rhiannon,

Did you download and run the Windows install Cleanup Utility? You do not comment that you did run it. Was Quicktime or Itunes showing in Windows install Cleanup Utility?

Go to your C:\Drive > Program Files and find Quicktime/Itunes Folder if it there and delete the contents of it.

Giving me more detail each post will shorten the time it takes to assist you here.

Best regards,
ok, sorry. I had already tried this with the other Tech and I thought you said you had read through it already. Sorry, was just trying to to be repetitive. I will be sure to be more detailed. yes I did run it. no it did not show up. when I went to Program files, there is a Quick Time and Itunes folder. Neither one can be open or deleted because when I try to delete the contents it says: "An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem: Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty. Quick Time. Resources Date created: 2008-09-10 12:30" and if I try to open them, it says: "The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable"
Rhiannon,

Yes I certainly did read the HJT link, but it had slipped my mind that you had tried that……lots of folk to help and lots of answers in my mind.

I will need to research this further, but in the meantime you may like to research this link to see if any of these items help your cause.

I am busy this morning, my time, but will be back later on with something more helpful…..hopefully.

Please post back if any of the sites in the link given assist you.

Best regards,
I completely understand. its cool. i can be patient. so long as my computer runs fine,and it is, im happy. I just want to get my itunes fixed, but no rush. I will take a look at that link. If I find anything I will let you know.
Rhiannon,

You could also do a CheckDisk for Vista before you do anything else regarding rearching the link I gave you in my previous post.

Much better feed back now, we can only help when you give as much information as possible for us to help you.

Best regards,
I did the chkdsk through properties and it said it would run at next start up because the program was in use. when it restarted, nothing happened. so, I restarted using F8 and ran the check computer and chkdsk through there. it all came back fine and said there was nothing to repair.
Rhiannon,

Back up your System before you do any of the suggested items in this thread. How long is it since you did a Systems Restore?

I have done more research, many users of Vista seemed to be having the very same pronblem as you are, some with Adobe, others exactly the same as yours.

I am going to give you these useful links I have found for you to do some work of your own. Post back to update us if anything has helped you.

The links below will take sometime to research so take it slowly and post back only when you have completed my suggestions with an update on how you are progressing.

Trouble shooting ITunes for Windows Vista

Error message when you use Windows Vista

How to check and repair corrupted files in Windows Vista

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Best regards,
I found this on the Vista forums (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/101333-error-2330-quicktime-corrupt-file.html)


"Re: error 2330 quicktime corrupt file
Most of us are used to installing an application update over an existing
version of the program. However, for many programs, the old program must be
completely uninstalled before the update or new program can be successfully
installed. Download and installation of programs or updates sometimes fails,
leaving broken install debris. Normal uninstall processes on Vista are
generally inadequate, often leaving program remnant files and orphaned
registry entries on your system. Buildup of this install/uninstall debris
can block normal program installation, impair proper program functioning,
generate any number of error messages, and degrade Vista performance.

Complete removal of broken installs and incomplete uninstalls is essential
for normal install processes to occur. You can do this retroactively, after
debris buildup has accumulated to the point of major computer malfunction,
using a good registry scanner/cleaner. It is preferred to do this
proactively, cleaning file remnants and registry entries after each
uninstall, preventing debris buildup. Proactively, you can remove this
install/uninstall debris manually with help from Windows Install CleanUp
Utility or you can use Smarty Uninstaller.

The best way to remove all the remnants of a partially uninstalled program
or a broken install is to use Smarty Uninstaller. This program will scan
your system and list all the programs on your computer, including "broken"
parts of programs. It will then run the program's uninstaller (if present),
and then rescan to list any pieces left on your system. Clicking Cleanup
will then remove all traces of your program and installation of the new or
update program can then proceed normally.

A link to Smarty Uninstaller and other information about install/uninstall
problems can be found at the following tutorial. For information on removing
an empty listing from your Programs and Features, see the second tutorial.
The third and fourth links are to good registry scanner/cleaner programs. If
the preceding doesn’t solve your problem, see the fifth link about your
Repair Vista Options.

Unable To Install Latest Version of Program on Vista

Programs and Features - Remove Uninstall Entry

http://www.ccleaner.com/

http://wisecleaner.com/download.html

Repair Vista Options - Preferred Sequence"

and ran the smarty uninstaller to see if it found any "remnants or corrupt files" and it didnt.

im stumped!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI