This is on my nieces pc. She was having a lots of problems so she decided to take her
restore cd's and do a restore. She said she tried and it wouldn't happen. So she asked her,
at the moment favorite uncle. To make a long story short. I took th CD's and tried again as
she said the wouldn't work so I tried to put them in the dvd/cd rom and it worked. My problem
is now after restore at least 3 times everything seems to be good, as far as the windows 98
is there and all the icons. But I can't open any folder or open my computer. I can't right click
on start and get windows explorer. Here is the weird thing I can go to safe mode and it works
clicking on a folder to open. Also if I use the run commands I can get some thing to open, but
not all.
My question is does anyone have a fix for this? I can't hardly think I would have to buy another
set od CD's? To start when I put disk #1 in cd rom it opens like a startup disk and say missing
some files. So when I put it in the dvd/CD Rom it takes off like a restore disk does. But when done
can't open nothing.
Our model is:
Compaq presario md 7970
sn/3d01dcq5k I contacted Compaq I am including our responses:
I appreciate any help here.Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. In reviewing your e-mail,
I see that you are experiencing an issue with opening My Computer and some other folders on your Compaq Presario 7970 desktop PC after performing System Restore. Let me assist you in this regards. The possible cause for this issue may be corrupted Restore disks. To resolve this issue, I regret to inform that you may have to purchase a new set of Restore Disk and perform Full System Recovery. But the Restore Disks with Windows 98 Operating system are not available from HP. However. For your convenience I am hereby providing you a third party website, that will help you in obtaining a set of compatible Restore Disks for your PC:
================================================
my reply:
Thanks Hancy HP Total Care,
Thank you for your fast response. However can you tell me how these disks get corrupted when they are factory disk. you can't add or remove things off it. And another interesting question. If I purchase new disks and it don't help where do I go? Thanks again Milt
=====================================================
their reply:
Thank you for writing back. There are several reasons why CDs get corrupted like, accumulation of dust particles on the surface of the disk or any scratches on the surface. And, as you asked, if you purchase a new set of CDs and if they don't work, the only option left is to buy a retail version of Operating System CD and load.In this case, you may have to manually download some drivers needed after installing the OS. However, I am sure the new set of CDs will work definitely. The information I have provided should be helpful.If you need any further assistance, please get back to us. I assure you of our best attention at all times.
===================================================
Thanks Milt