This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 98 Will Not Boot!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello! My daughter's computer will not boot-up, it sometimes gives a message "Symantec files could not be found", then "Windows 98 cannot find specified files", and then " Performed illegal operation and will be shut-down". It has always worked fine, (after numerous cleanings by me with Ad-aware, Spybot, Hijack this, etc……) I suspect serious virus. I tried the Windows start-up disc, computer doesn't recognize it, and also doesn't recognize the Windows 98 installation disc in D drive. I've used the F8 safe mode, but get a simple safe-mode start, then "Illegal Operation", no task bar etc. to do anything else. Best screen I can get is my previous wallpaper in Safe Mode, with no task bar, etc., and mouse actions do nothing. It ACTS like windows is starting, then goes to this BS. Thanks in advance for your help! Steve Weible
OK! Got it by doing a search and ending-up at Microsoft site. I had to to a "Registry Restore" and it took care of that problem, then I had to remove the virus(s) that caused it in safe mode. Thanks, Steve W. This thread can be removed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI