This last week I purchased a Laptop and a Wirless Network was setup by the technician from the Computer Agent.
I already own a PC and both computers are running Windows XP now on the Wireless Network that works really well.
The technician set up "File and Printer Sharing" so My Documents Folder could be shared over on the Laptop from the PC. He put a shortcut in the task bar of the Laptop for easy access for me.
My Problem now is when I clicked that shortcut after a few days as I was busy doing other things earlier I got the following message:
"Could not check "Sharing My Documents" path is invalid, "Windows
cannot find Network Path".*
An error occurred while reconnecting to Z:\*****\my documents (Z:)
Windows cannot find the Network Path. Verify that the network path is
correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If
Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your Network
Administrator*
The connection has not been restarted."
Of course both computers were "turned on and not busy"
When set up by the tech on Tuesday last this was tested by my tech and all worked well.
Now I find that the "Z:\*****\my documents (Z:)" folder does not exist as I put a search in for it on the Laptop with no results.
The same Computer Tech has been contacted to come to correct this problem, (he cannot come until next Wednesday) but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could assist me in a 'step by step guide' for learning to correct this myself.
I am new to Networking, have read the troubleshooting guide given to me by my tech, but still I cannot correct the File and Printer Sharing problem.
Hi llin
Sounds to me like the path name is now invalid because either:
1) It's become corrupt
2) You've re-named it
or 3) It has had settings changed on it
I will leave this to someone who is a bit more knowledgeble in this field, but i'm sure it can be sorted. Good luck!
Sounds to me like the path name is now invalid because either:
1) It's become corrupt
2) You've re-named it
or 3) It has had settings changed on it
I will leave this to someone who is a bit more knowledgeble in this field, but i'm sure it can be sorted. Good luck!
Thanks for you post.
You maybe right, it maybe corrupt, but I have not renamed the folder, or changed any settings. All I did was click on the shortcut in my quick launch bar to get the message quoted in my first post.
Perhaps as you say another volunteer will be able to guide me with a fix to my problem as that is the way I will learn how to correct it if it happens again after my tech has done his work on Wednesday.
H tallin,
I think that most of us are keeping quiet as you have a brand new machine here, under guarantee/warranty, and when the set up tech left you last week it was all working ok, but despite not having altered any settings you are now unable to access shared documents.
As the Tech is coming back on Weds, I reckon it's best to sit tight for a couple of days and when he/she turns up watch them like a hawk and ask plenty of questions!
Regards
paws
H tallin,
I think that most of us are keeping quiet as you have a brand new machine here, under guarantee/warranty, and when the set up tech left you last week it was all working OK, but despite not having altered any settings you are now unable to access shared documents.
As the Tech is coming back on Weds, I reckon it's best to sit tight for a couple of days and when he/she turns up watch them like a hawk and ask plenty of questions!
Regards
paws
Thanks Paws for your post. I cannot claim under warranty as far as I know with this problem as even when Graeme came to set up File and Printer Sharing on the machine the first time I had to pay. This time I have to again and boy do they charge?
Actually I have downloaded from the internet File and Print Sharing by Microsoft but to me it is not clear what to do and when it gives steps to interfer with the Network Connection I step back as at least that is working well.
I will inquire from Graeme about claiming from warranty, but I know the answer before I ask the question as he will itemize this as software and the warranty does not cover software.
I have come back to Edit this post as of course this has nothing to do with software, it is a OS content problem. Sorry for my confusion about it, and thank you so much Paws for alerting me to see if warranty may cover this. I will certainly update this thread when I get the answer after Wednesdays' visit from Graeme.
You watch out over there with all that unrest in UK. Take care and thanks for your post.
H tallin,
I think that most of us are keeping quiet as you have a brand new machine here, under guarantee/warranty, and when the set up tech left you last week it was all working OK, but despite not having altered any settings you are now unable to access shared documents.
As the Tech is coming back on Weds, I reckon it's best to sit tight for a couple of days and when he/she turns up watch them like a hawk and ask plenty of questions!
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
As promised here I am back again with results from my Tech Graeme's visit here yesterday.
All of my problems turned out to be in me not understanding File and Print Sharing. So in a matter of seconds after arrival Graeme had all up and running again. The path was indeed wrong, but that again was my lack of knowledge in what to do to access File and Print Sharing. In other words I unknowingly HAD changed one setting trying to make it work which certainly stopped me from any access to it. I have now had a good lesson and all is working well. Graeme did make comment that it is not easy to grasp so I did not feel so bad. He most likely was only being kind to an oldie!
I did not even mention 'Warranty' as I believe it would not be covered and anyway it was my fault as it turned out in the long run.
So all is well and both computers are fine. Thank you for your suggestion to wait ……………it was the correct advice.
Hi tallin,
So very pleased that all's working OK now.
It is a bit of a "minefield" and as Bizarrebob said in an earlier post its so easy to inadvertantly change a path.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI