Hi all,
Hope you can help me with this one its driving me nuts.
I have a small network a Laptop running Vista & a PC running XP. They are connect via a wireless router the PC is connected via network cable from a LAN port on the router . The laptop is wireless. Internet wise they both work fine. The problem is I can see and share files & folders from the Laptop, but if I want to share a file from the PC I can't as I can not see it in my network. Once it was the opposite way around I was also able to use the printer with the laptop. I can also ping the laptop from the PC but I cant ping the PC from the laptop.
It's doing my head in I hope you can help.
Thanks, Wizzkid
Hi,
Three thoughts for you.
1 Firewall…..have you permitted access?
2 If Xp is the Home edition you will need the guest account to be "on"
3 Network name..make it the same for both machines
Regards
paws
Hi Paws, thanks for your reply.
The edition of XP is media centre edition
The network name is the same on both machines
And the firewalls have been disabled to test if the firewalls were the problem
Thanks,
Wizzkid
And the firewalls have been disabled to test if the firewalls were the problem
Thanks,
Wizzkid
Without 3rd party software, or downloading the MS patch on XP machines, VISTA MACHINES WILL NOT SEE XP MACHINES IN A WORKGROUP.
This is by design. Vista uses a different method of 'detecting' other PC's in a network, and does NOT hear the XP PC's shouting their presence.
As I said MS has a tool for this now, and I believe there may be others.
You CAN use the netbios name a create a shortcut on the Vista box to the XP box, (as long as that resource is 'shared'.) You may have to activate the guest account on the XP machine, if browsing via NETBIOS yeilds a permissions error.
lots of folks, these days, tend to forget to close down and restart their machine's after making changes and this is generally advisable.
Good luck
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI