This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Tired And Frustrated

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has been slow to respond the last few weeks. When going into or out of a program I must double click any icon in order to get it to respond. I keep clicking and clicking and clicking tryin to get a program to close or open and am not sure what started this. I am very careful not to download junk mail. Can someone pleaseeeeeee help me?
Even if you are exercising great care with email downloads, a top suspect in "slow machine" complaints is "malware".

We'll take a few steps and then get a better look at how your machine is functioning as we progress.
________

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF-Cleaner

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.


(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)


It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.
this is due to clearing PreFetch, where Windows loads portions of application that are used frequently so that the owner/user can open the application briskly. In your case, after the first time you open any application that you've previously used, PreFetch will be reset for that application and will open promptly.
__________

Next download, update, and Run Spybot Search and Destroy
Download Spybot S & D version 1.4
__________

Next:
Update and Run your onboard AntiVirus utility
_________

Next:
Uninstall "all" current and old version of JAVA Runtime Environment that you have installed on your machine.
(Uninstall via Control Panel - Add/Remove - JAVA or JRE)
You may have to use Add/Remove more than once to remove all old versions of JRE

Next:
Install the most recent update of JAVA Runtime Environment
download and install from here:
The JAVA item that you want to install is Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1, located about half way down the page.

Next:
Please go to http://www.PCPitstop.com, to run the Full Tests
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Full Tests are located/linked as the top item in the left-hand column.

You will be required to register with a valid email address for confirmation and create your own Password.
You will be required to accept an ActiveX component to Run the PCPitstop Tests.
Both are SAFE and FREE. :)

Once you've run the Full Tests and received the Results pages, you will be provided with a TechExpress Link (last item in the brownish/yellow option box on any results page)

please post the full information of the TechExpress Link.

We'll have a look at the test results together here, to better determine what next steps to take.

Best Regards
Doug,

Thanks for all of the steps. I have completed them all. I have not restarted my computer yet.

I was a bit confused on how to get the info of the Tech Express Test Results, so I added the link.
I hope this is what you wanted and can access it. If not please let me know and I will do it again.

TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=9GY3HWUZNTVS6FPW

Thanks!!!!
Hi kgc, I'm looking at your Pit Test. Yes you posted the TechExpress properly and exactly as requested. ________ I'll be looking further, but instantly at first glance, I notice that you have an overwhelming number of applications and processes running active from your StartUp. I'll be getting back to you shortly.
Looks like you have the entire CA/Zonelabs Security Suite installed. Included is PestPatrol You also have WebRoot SpySweeper independently installed. Having both PestPatrol and SpySweeper running active can create conflicts and resource hogging that can slow down your machine. Consider "disabling" SpySweeper via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) Then run your machine for a while to see if removing SpySweeper alone liberates resources to the point that the machine responds more briskly as you previously expected and enjoyed. ___________ If the above makes no difference then please disable "all" items listed on the Windows Results Page with Purple background. All of them are highly "optional" and will still be installed and available to run on demand manually. It is safe to "disable all items" in the StartUp List via MSCONFIG, except your AntiVirus and Firewall. Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter - Select - StartUp(tab) - remove the checkmark/tick from all items except Antivirus and Firewall. Then reboot, use your computer for a while, and report back with your results. __________________- PLEASE Follow ALL Three - TuneUp Tips as listed in your Pit Test. Specifically - Adjust Browser Cache size to 80mb (presently set at 1mb - you will constantly be placed in the position of buffer overrun <– not good) - Make the changes in Restricted Zone regarding Scripting ActiveX in Restricted Zone (you can simple accept default level in Restricted Zone and that may be enough, or make the changes manually) - Reducing amount reserved for System Restore will free up a ton of space. Consider 3% or neighbor hood of 1000mb as adequate. Kepp us posted with your progress. Doug
Everything is working good. I get free CA/Zonelabs Security Suite from my cable company with Cable Broadband Company, it is a nice perk. Also I have been trying to get rid of Spysweeper for months, but it would not let me unistall, it always shows an error that something was missing. So with the change of the Start Up Menu it helped deactivate it. I completed the Tune Up from Pit Stop. All seems okay now. Thanks again for your help. This forum has saved me again!!! I will defintely Donate to your site.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI