Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Halifax

Halifax

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

I have an intermittent fault in sending e-mail using Outlook Express. My operating system is Windows XP Home and my ISP Speedtouch Broadband connection is via Orange.co.uk. The outgoing mail is set as smtp.orangehome.co.uk. I have no problem receiving mail. I stress the fault in sending is intermittent, so my active firewall and antivirus protection must be configured ok. I have reinstalled Internet Explorer Version 7.0 and have run System Mechanics 6, Spybot and Ada-Aware Se to clean up my computer. I have no problem sending using Orange webb mail so I presume my Speedtouch modem is not at fault. As an added test I have installed Incredimail and I get the same intermittent fault sending mail using this software which makes me think my problem does not come from Outlook Express. Can anyone help please.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your email.
It is important that you check your settings very very carefully as even a dot in the wrong place is enough to cause mischief.
Go over all your settings with a critical eye.

For example, in your post, the SMTP that you quoted is incorrect,
the correct line should be :
smtp.orangehome.co.uk
on first glance it may look the same as the line you quoted in your post! but it's not.!

It could be, of course, that the error in the smtp line in your post is just a "typo" and that the line in your Outlook Express is correct!, but it shows how careful you must be.
Orange have a good help file, with all the settings you need:
http://help.orange.c...ropValue=kb4471
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Halifax

Halifax

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hi Paws Thanks for the reply. I have checked again my Outlook Express settings as suggested following the Orange help file you sent. All seems to be ok. I am sure my settings are correct for outgoing mail as I can send on occasions, then Mail will not go for some reason. Why should it be intermittent? Do you think I have some corrupt file within my Windows XP operating system? If my firewall and antivirus software were the cause of the problem and blocking it, then the mail would not go at all. I have the same problem using IncrediMail and incidentally it happens at the same time as the problem sending by Outlook Express. When I can send by O/E I can send using IncrediMail. Its frustrating to say the least. Is there anything I can do to check my operating system is functioning correctly? This is the only thing that I haven't checked, as I say, I have reinstalled Internet Explorer 7, which should have reinstalled Outlook Express as I understand it's part of the Internet Explorer 7 software for Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have even "pinged" www.orange.co.uk and get "request timed out" when I am able to send mail using O/Express. This puzzles me.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hi Halifax see next post Regards paws

Edited by paws, 17 June 2007 - 10:42 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

Hi Halifax
I guessed you spotted the typo in your reference to the smtp line (there is no dot after the "k")
so it should read smtp.orangehome.co.uk

If you have checked all your other settings and you can't ping them, then it sounds like Orange may have a problem and possibly a bad server, or two!

I had a dig around and found many folks have exactly the same problem as you (I know this may not make you feel any better...but at least you are not alone!

Before you spend a lot of money on 0870 calls to the famous Orange help desk, you might like to check out the following website where some Orange customers are "spitting feathers!"

http://www.orangepro...opic.php?t=2550

You will also find some good suggestions like try putting in the IP address and see if this helps...one chap even managed to find the name of several Orange smtp servers and adjusted his settings accordingly. He even told Orange what he was up to, but after 3 weeks or so it is still working for him! Maybe it will work for you ,the names are in the link.
Good luck and I hope you get it fixed

Incidentally Tiscali had similar promlems for about 2 weeks or so, starting about 3rd week in May where folks couldn't send emails (could receive OK) and any "sent" emails went immediately into their "sent" folder, the only trouble was that's the only place they went! Tiscali kept mum about the whole thing!

Folks thought their emails were being sent, Tiscali used (at first) the standard reply that there was no problem... problem was intermittent then became full time. It turned out other ISP's had blocked Tiscali due to their servers being used by spammers via botnets, problem is now solved and Tiscali to their credit owned up to the situation. I know Orange had similar problems in the past where their email service was severely slowed by other ISP's putting blocks in the way due to the amount of spamming via Orange servers.
Just a bit of background to the problem
Regards
paws

#6 Halifax

Halifax

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi Paws Thanks for the Orangeproblems webb page. Thought I would try the Orange smtp server as 193.252.22.138 instead of Orangehome as suggested in the forum and guess what it has worked ok for the past hour or so sending test messages to myself. At the same time I could not send messages using IncrediMail which I left as smtp.orangehome.co.uk Maybe it's just a coincidence we shall see. Thanks for digging around for me. Will keep you posted as time goes on to see if the problem is solved. I was amazed to find out so many people had the same problem. Regards Halifax

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hi Halifax, That is good news, well done! Glad you are back on the air "so to speak" Thanks for offereng to keep us updated, thats' very important to us, as a lot of folks read these posts in the forum (even if they don't make a post themselves.) Even if they are customers of Orange they might not know there is a problem, let alone a potential solution! :) Regards paws

#8 Halifax

Halifax

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi Paws Update on my e-mail sending problem with Orangehome.co.uk Since 17th June I have had no problems now sending mail using the outgoing mail server as 193.252.22.138 instead of Orangehome as suggested in the Orangeproblems forum you recomended to me. Over the past two weeks I have badgered Orange help line to solve the problem and got the usual Orange help files which do not address this intermittent problem. Today finally I got mail from Orange help which I thought you might be interested in although the smtp server below is different to the one I use I'll keep this new one as a fall back. E-mail received 29/6/07 We understand your concern and regret the inconvienience. The Outlook error you have described in previous emails can be explained as an ongoing issue that we have been experiencing on some of our emails servers. The "smtp" and "pop" servers that you send emails to route your emails to one of many email servers, some of which have been malfunctioning. This is a known issue and is currently being looked at. In the meantime the following can be done: In the properties section of your account, if you change the incoming email server (pop server) to 193.252.22.136 and the outgoing email server (smtp server) to 193.252.22.140. This will send your emails directly to an email server that has been confirmed as working and should resolve your issues with Outlook. If this does not you can continue to send and receive emails through the Orange web page. Thanks again Paws for your help in pointing me in the right direction. I believe this is the nearest to an admission that Orange do have a server problem but what a battle to get to this point Thanks again Regards Halifax

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hi Halifax, Thanks for the update on the present situation with Orange. It's very good news that you are still able to use the email smtp server by using 193.252.22.140. and congratulations for your perseverance with Orange. Yes you are right! I reckon that is as close as you will ever get to them saying "sorry" I know folks who have spent a fortune on calls to the helpdesk, installed, uninstalled and reinstalled practically everything ( some several times) checked and rechecked their settings until they were going blue in the face! and a few who have reformatted and reinstalled their complete system! At least other folks who find this thread will have an indication of things to try that have worked for you and for others. Regards paws

#10 Peter@fslife

Peter@fslife

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hello Having problems with Microsoft Outlook, I have read the information but do not understand how or WHERE to change the relevant information of smtp server to 193.252.22.138 Unfortunately your fix is for Outlook Express and I'm stll with Microsoft Outlook. All the problems you described I am also having- big time- and I desperately need to know where to add the 193.252.22.138 Any help would be greatly apreciated Peter

#11 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi Peter@fslife, the Solution proposed by Paws, and apparently successful for Halifax, is "specific" to the ISP to which Halifax subscribes. If you subscribe to the same ISP for your internet access, then the same solution may work for you. If not, it will not work because the ISP will not recognize a login from you as an unknown. For instance, the Solution, would not work for me, since I subscribe to ATT.Yahoo.com within the domain of @sbcglobal.net. Therefore my Server Connection for Outlook is: POP3 ---> pop.att.yahoo.com STMP ---> stmp.att.yahoo.com _________ So the first question is: Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP) ? To access your Outlook Account - Connection - Server configuration..... Open your Outlook Select - Tools - Accounts - Mail - Properties - Servers on that panel, you will see an entry point for Incoming(POP3) and Outgoing(STMP) domain address information. You will be able to obtain the appropriate POP3 and STMP addressing information from your ISP. Best Regards Edit: The same configuration and steps to reach ther Properties - Server panel apply to both Outlook and Outlook Express

Edited by Doug, 09 July 2007 - 11:04 AM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#12 Peter@fslife

Peter@fslife

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

A big big thank you. I have wasted most of my week end screeming with rage over Orange and you have solved my problem . I'm waiting until my blood level returns to normal THEN change to BT. Again many thanks. Peter

#13 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#14 Tree

Tree

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

POP3 ---> pop.att.yahoo.com STMP ---> stmp.att.yahoo.com I set :POP3 ---> mail@***.net STMP --->mail@***.net It also works, why