This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problems With My Wireless Network/cable Modem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK. So I just bought a new laptop, on which I am running ubuntu. I bought a wireless router a Netgear WGT624, so I could connect to the internet anywhere in my house. Now I also have an older dell pc (I got it in 2001 or 2002) it runs xp which is fairly up-to-date (including sp2). Now when I got my cable modem a few years ago I had to run it through my usb port since my computer doesn't have an ethernet port. (its usb 1.1 by the way). It also does not have a wireless internet card. Prior to buying the router, I double checked that my modem could support running through both the usb and ethernet (via a router) at the same time and according to documentation I found on the manufacturer's website it can. So when I received my laptop yesterday I went about setting everything up. The setup is this: USB cable from cable modem to PC, ethernet cable from cable modem to wireless router. When I have both plugged in, and start up the PC first, the modem connects without a problem. However when I then startup the laptop, it is able to connect to my wirelss network but I am unable to access the internet. Likewise, when I do the opposite and start the laptop first, I can access the internet without a hitch. However when I boot up my PC, I get an error message: Local Area Connection Speed: 12.0mbps Status: Limited or no Connectivity When I click "more information" I get this message: "You might not be able to access the internet or some netowrk resources. This problem occurred because the netowrk did not assign a network address to the computer." It gives me a details option which I will list in a moment. It prompts me to "Repair" the problem, which I do to no avail. (It attempts to renew my IP address, but fails) It then tells me to contact the person who manages my network. Now for those "details" I mentioned a moment ago: Physical Address: 00-12-C9-17-1E-01 IP Address: 169.xxx.xxx.xx Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (The next three things listed have no listed value) Default Gateway: DNS Server: WINS Server: I've checked the cable modem's manufacturer's website but I can't seem to find any information that will help me solve the problem. I thought that perhaps improving my cable connection might help (the cable that runs into the modem is off a few splitters, so the signal is weaker than it would be with a direct shot - i've been meaning to get a long enough cable to do this but haven't gotten around to it, plus if I can solve this problem without it i'd like to do so anyways so I can get things up and running as soon as I can). Thanks in advance for the help, I hope I posted all of the pertinent information. ~ Jim EDIT: Removed IP addy LDT
Okay, I have had the same problem before, usually when they say they support both usb and ethernet they want you to pick one. Since the modem is not a router, it does not and can not support 2 devices to send information to. Therefore it sends the information to the first hardware attached to its system. I would try buying a router that you can link an ethernet wire to. So, should look like this: Modem —(ethernet wire)—–> Router|——(ethernet or wireless)——> New Laptop ______________________________ ——-(usb wire)—————–> Old Laptop They may or may not cary a router with this capability anymore, however it doesn't hurt to ask. Best regards, Francois
PCI Network Interface Card (capable of connection via CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable connection) for your Dell Desktop is available at any computer shop in the price range between $9.00 and $15.00. or purchase the same online. I like www.newegg.com for good selection and price. Pop the PCI Network Interface Card into any open PCI slot. Your XP will probably recognize and install a driver, or go to the NIC manufacturer's website to download the driver. But the PCI card will probably also come with a CD for easy installation of Driver. Best Regards
Thanks for the replies. After posting on this forum, I searched a little more and found that more than likely the best route to go would be to buy an ethernet card for my old PC, which is what I plan on doing. Thanks again. ~ Jim

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI