This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connecting two routers to one PC

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using a laptop with Windows 7. I go to garage sales often, and sometimes I buy a router. (I may like the new router and decide use it instead of my existing router.) I take it home and I want to log into the router. I have an existing router that I connect to via WiFi. (The existing router is connected to a cable modem.) It is easier to plug the new router to the back of my laptop which is on my desk (instead of plugging into my existing router which is in a difficult location.) I connect the router to my laptop via cat5e network cable. I look on the new router and I note the address is 192.168.2.1, for instance. So I set my laptop's IPv4 address to 192.168.2.2. I can then log into the router and see what its server menu looks like. I check to see if it needs a firmware upgrade. But when I attempt to connect to the internet while I am connected to the new router, I cannot connect even though my computer says it has internet access. The connection I am making with the new router is interfering with my ability to connect to the internet. How do I connect to the new router and stay connected to my existing router's internet connection at the same time? Thank you in advance for any help posted. :)
not sure exactly how your setting things up, with both routers but i believe the problem is where you say you set up your ipv4 address to 192.168.2.2. set it back to whatever it was before for your old router, the only one that has an internet connection if my understanding is correct. to get to the new routers menu/setup page all you should need to do is type 192.168.2.1 into the url line on your browser when hard wired to the new router. :popcorn:
I solved the problem. I went to my existing Internet network connection in the Network and Sharing Center and in the General tab, under the Activity section, I clicked on properties. In the new window, I now have two tabs, networking and sharing. Under the sharing tab, I checked the box to "allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". I chose the option to connect through my computer's integrated LAN card. This allowed the router that is connected locally to my laptop to access the Internet using my wireless network connection to my Internet connected router and modem. It worked! I was able to access the local network-cable connected router's server, then click the link on the login page to check to see if there was a newer firmware, which there was. I was able to download the firmware and upgrade successfully, all without having to disconnect any other network connections during the process. :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI