This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Outlook Express

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My OE has a glitch or is corrupt. I have followed step by step the following Microsoft site down to the instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling IE6.0 with does include OE 6.0

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun…s/oerepair.mspx

The strange behavior that I am experiencing is:

1. When I open OE and click on "Create email" the page momentarily comes up to write and email, but then immediately OE closes….vanishes. This all happens in a second or so.

2. If I go to Tools/options within the open OE program, anything I change within Options makes OE show "this program is not responding" in Ctrl/Alt/delete/Applications.

I have not attempted to uninstall and reinstall as shown on the given website above as it looks complicated to me with limited experience.

Question? Is there a simple way of uninstalling and reinstalling OE please.

I have XP/SP2
Hi tallin,
I was waiting for someone to precribe the magic bullet that would solve instantly your OE problem, but as nothing has turned up yet it might be useful to have a look here:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm
Lots of good info and buried somewhere in there might be the solution.
I take it you have tried sfc?
Start>Run sfc /scannow (note the space)
Best regards
paws

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm
Lots of good info and buried somewhere in there might be the solution.
I take it you have tried sfc?
Start>Run sfc /scannow (note the space)
Best regards
paws


Hi Paws, thanks for your post.

That is a good site you sent, have put it away safely.

My problem has been solved in the following way:

1. Run the online scan at this link -> http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Remove any item this scan finds. Reboot when done.

2. Have your XP or restore CDs handy and run IEFIX from this site -> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

No we won't be installing Windows, we just need those CDs in case IEFIX asks for them.

I got Create Mail back with the above.

If problem still evident do this>>>>

Reboot so the hung applications are ended then look at the IEFIX web site to duplicate it's work. Just one I would use is this one to start with… Which is.

Click Start, Run, and enter CMD

In that window type this and press enter.

SFC /SCANNOW

Reboot and retest when done.

This final instruction solved the OE Option hangup Paws.

Cheers and again your posts always welcome
Hi tallin. Looks like a good fix, well done, I'm sure that in the future, folks who are experiencing the same problem as you were, will be able to benefit from your work on this. I will also keep it in my box of "useful stuff" Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI