This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

can't open links in IE or OE

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I reinstalled IE7 on Tuesday. Everything worked fine until last night. Web pages would load 90% of the time. If I tried to click on a link on a page or open a picture the pointing hand would come up but nothing happens. Clicking anywhere on the page either does nothing or eventually will bring up that IE is not responding and has to be closed using Task Manager. The same applies now with OE. I can't open links in emails, including ones that have been opened before nor can I open previously opened attachments. A couple of emails have Unicode (UTF-8) on the top bar when I open them. OE also has to be closed using Task Manager. When I tried to sign into a website earlier a message came up that my browser was not set for scripts and I couldn't sign in. (I was already signed in here, I presume that is why I can use this forum). Are these 'scripts' the cause of the problem and if so, can anyone tell me how to fix it. I have IE script debugging and Other debugging ticked in the advanced tab of Internet Options, but can't find any reference to any other types of script/s. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hi hedley93

Please check the following:

Open windows Explorer or Control Panel
Then Tools, next Folder options, choose File Types
Find this entry: [NONE] URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
Select entry by clicking once
Click the Advanced radio button
See if Open is selected under actions, if not, select it.

Application used to perform this action should be:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome"

NOTE:The double quotes are meant to be there!

Check and see if this string is ok.

Regards
Thanks for the reply. On clicking on Open, here is what it says: Details for 'URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol' file type Where it says opens with - the change box is greyed out. Below that: 'To change settings that affect all 'URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol' file types, click advanced'. Doing this brings me back to the previous screen. It just goes back & forward between the two screens really. I don't see the "Application used to perform this action should be" etc anywhere. Hope I have explained this ok, if not please ask. Am I missing something? Thank you for your help. hedley
Thanks for that. What you give is there ok. Don't know if it makes any difference how it's written - where you have capitals it is small and vice versa, except for the nohome part. Do I need to check anything else? Thanks for the help. hedley
Hi hedley93

Seems I have made a minor, yet vital mistake. I have accidently put one double-quote
to much in that path. The corrected path just below.

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome


Sorry for any inconvinience it might have caused. :blush:


regards
Sorry, do I copy & paste it into where it says 'Application' further down? At the moment it says IExplore there. Thanks for the help. hedley
Hi again :wavey:

You highlight Open and out to the right, you will see a Edit radio button.
Click that.

This is how it should look (don't mind I got Danish XP, Rediger means Edit)

📎2009_04_24_092601.jpg

After you have clicked edit button, you should see a screen similar to this one:

📎2009_04_24_092716.jpg

Now I got Firefox as browser, but I am sure you get the picture.

Use the above path directions to get there.

Regards
Hi, I have followed as you have shown, but still no go. IE & OE are still freezing. Anything else I can try? Thanks for the help. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI