This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help. No Internet, No System Restore

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I sure hope someone can help me. 2 weeks ago, I lost internet. We had a storm that day, and I assumed our broadband supplier was down. However, I checked with a couple of other people using the same server and they had internet. I received the message that there was limited or no connectivity. Then, randomly I would suddenly have service again briefly. I unplugged the router, and when I plugged it in again and was told the ISP could not be renewed. Then, suddenly I would briefly have service again. Now, when I have service for a few minutes, I am diverted to an aol search engine instead of yahoo. I am not running aol. When I am diverted to the aol search engine, any search I attempt says web page not available. I have run Ad-Aware, Spy Bot, SpySweeper and Ewira all in safe mode. The only program that found anything Was Ewira, and I removed all the problems. Still no internet. I have run my virus software in safe mode as well. No problems, no internet. I can't access TrendMicro even when I have briefly had internet service. I have attempted a system restore in safe mode as well and can't restore to any date. I attempted to delete AOL through the control panel, and couldn't delete it. Someone suggested that maybe McAffee was the problem and that I should delete that. It doesn't even show up as a program. Can anyone help?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:42:14 PM, on 5/22/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PRISMSVR.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
c:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer 946\dlcimon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\LVComSX.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Home Publishing\MHPRMIND.EXE
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcicoms.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
E:\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee Privacy Service Popup Blocker - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRISMSVR.EXE] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\PRISMSVR.EXE" /APPLY
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioReg] "REGSVR32.EXE" /S CTASIO.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe" SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] "C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe" /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol Plus] "C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCICATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCItime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlcimon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer 946\dlcimon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LComMgr\LVComSX.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] "C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe" -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Greetings Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Home Publishing\MHPRMIND.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package Menu.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 2.0\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZUxdm082YYUS
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {05D44720-58E3-49E6-BDF6-D00330E511D3} (StagingUI Object) - http://zone.msn.com/binFrameWork/v10/StagingUI.cab55579.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {3BB54395-5982-4788-8AF4-B5388FFDD0D8} (MSN Games – Buddy Invite) - http://zone.msn.com/BinFrameWork/v10/ZBuddy.cab55579.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by118fd.bay118.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5736C456-EA94-4AAC-BB08-917ABDD035B3} (ZonePAChat Object) - http://zone.msn.com/binframework/v10/ZPAChat.cab55579.cab
O16 - DPF: {9BDF4724-10AA-43D5-BD15-AEA0D2287303} (MSN Games – Texas Holdem Poker) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/zpagames/zpa_txhe.cab60096.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/…ro.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {DA2AA6CF-5C7A-4B71-BC3B-C771BB369937} (MSN Games – Game Communicator) - http://zone.msn.com/binframework/v10/StProxy.cab55579.cab
O18 - Protocol: bw+0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw+0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw-0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw-0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw00 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw00s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw10 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw10s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw20 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw20s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw30 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw30s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw40 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw40s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw50 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw50s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw60 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw60s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw70 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw70s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw80 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw80s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw90 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bw90s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwa0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwa0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwb0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwb0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwc0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwc0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwd0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwd0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwe0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwe0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwf0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwf0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwg0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwg0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwh0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwh0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwi0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwi0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwj0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwj0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwk0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwk0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwl0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwl0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwm0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwm0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwn0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwn0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwo0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwo0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwp0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwp0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwq0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwq0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwr0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwr0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bws0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bws0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwt0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwt0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwu0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwu0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwv0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwv0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bww0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bww0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwx0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwx0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwy0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwy0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwz0 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: bwz0s - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: offline-8876480 - {61F441F3-371E-41F0-9C6E-9948FF62DF73} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: dlci_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcicoms.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
Hello val3742 and Welcome to TomCoyote,

Please do the following:

Disable SpySweeper:
You have SpySweeper installed. While this is a great program, we need to temporarily disable (not uninstall) the program because it might stop our fix.
If you have Spy Sweeper version 4:
  • Open SpySweeper, Click Options over on the left, then Program options
  • Uncheck load at windows startup.
  • Over to the left, Click shields and Uncheck all there.
  • Uncheck home page shield.
  • Uncheck automatically restore default without notification .
  • Close SpySweeper.
  • Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect before running HJT.
If you have SpySweeper version 5:
To disable SpySweeper Shields
  • Open SpySweeper, Click Shield Settings on the right
    (or Shields on the left, depending what screen you're on).
  • Click Internet Explorer and uncheck all items.
  • Click Windows System and uncheck all items.
  • Click Hosts File and uncheck all items.
  • Click Startup Programs and uncheck all items.
  • Close SpySweeper.
  • Reboot you computer, and ensure Spy Sweeper is disabled.
After all of the fixes are complete it is very important that you enable SpySweeper again.

Disable Winpatrol:
Please disable Winpatrol as it may hinder the removal of some entries.
Right click the running icon of Winpatrol, and choose exit.

After all of the fixes are complete it is very important that you enable WinPatrol again.

Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.

Stop and Disable Service
  • Go to Start > Run and type in Services.msc then cllick OK
  • Click the Extended tab.
  • Scroll down until you find AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS)
  • Click once on the service to highlight it.
  • Click Stop
  • Right-Click on the service.
  • Click on 'Properties'
  • Select the 'General' tab
  • Click the Arrow-down tab on the right-hand side on the 'Start-up Type' box
  • From the drop-down menu, click on ‘Disabled'
  • Click the 'Apply' tab, then click 'OK'
The service is now stopped and disabled.

Run hijackthis. Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 2.0\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZUxdm082YYUS
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 2.0\aoltb.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click Fix checked and exit.

Rebuild the Winsock chain-Windows XP SP2
If you are not logged in as an administrator, you will receive the following error message:
Unable to reset the Winsock Catalog. Access is denied. If you receive this message, log off the computer, and then log back on by using an account with Administrator access.
To do this, follow these steps:
  • Log on to the Microsoft Windows XP workstation as an administrator.
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  • At the command prompt, type the following:
    netsh Winsock reset
    and then press the ENTER key:
    When the program is finished, you will receive the following message:
    Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
  • You must restart your computer.
Go to Start=>Run=>type cmd and a black window should open
Please type the following tracert tomcoyote.com and press Enter
Right click the black Window and click “select All”
Then use the Ctrl + C keys (pressing them both at the same time) to copy the window.
Please paste (Ctrl + V keys) the results in your reply.

Please also post (reply) with another hijackthis log.
Thanks Susan. I sent my post from work this morning since I have no internet at home. I will be leaving in a couple of hours and will try this. If it doesn't work, I will not be able to repost until tomorrow a.m. Thanks for the quick response
Hi, I did everything you said and all seemed to be going well. When I rebooted my computer, NOTHING loaded. I rebooted again in safe mode and everything came up. When I typed in tracert tomcoyote.com, I got an invalid path error. I could not copy that. I ran hijackthis and attempted to copy to a cd and was not able to do that either…error message that there was no cd in the drive, even though there was. I rebooted again and after about 5 minutes my programs loaded, but there were error messages galore. Spysweeper was in some kind of loop and I couldn't close it even though it was disabled. I received an error message that I needed Winsock 2, directing me to a site to download, which of course I couldn't do as I had no internet. I attempted a system restore to start over again, but couldn't restore. My brother-in-law, who fancies himself a computer expert said he would look at it. He began deleting a bunch of files. One thing I noticed in the hidden files was a lot of symantec. I removed Norton from my computer over a year ago. He removed all of the symantec pathways, along with a lot of other stuff. When he rebooted, it still took over 5 minutes to load and there were still the same error messages. All of the Symantec and other files that he removed were back! There was a new icon on the desktop that was Norton protected recycle. There were over 4000 files and folders in it, and we could not empty it. Also, there were thousands of things in the temp. internet files, even though the first thing I did when all of this began was delete all the files and cookies, as well as run Ad Aware and several other spy removal programs. I had removed all of the Aol stuff that you indicated, but I was also receiving a message that the computer was looking for the aoltray?? When I checked my internet connection, I could not access anything, but I went to status and I was connected. I still could not copy the hijack this file. He thinks that the only thing I can do is reload the operating system. What do you think I should do? I'm afraid my computer is dead.
If you are in safe mode, you will not be able to use a cd, so copying to a cd would not work as you found out. If you have not tried booting into safe mode and then select "Last Known Good Configuration", it may be worth a try.

Formatting and installing Windows again may be good option. Only bad thing is that you will lose your data files on your computer unless you have back-ups of the data and your back-ups do not harbor any malware files. Often I will see lengthy threads and I think that if person had formatted and installed Windows again they would probably be done before they finish trying to clean up everything.

Do you have instructions for doing a re-installation? If you have access to free computer support from your manufacturer, I would recommend using it. They may also have a website which will include documentation for your model of computer.

Microsoft has provided following link that may help with locating manufacturer computer support.
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us&…n-us%3Boemphone

If you are unable to find information, Wng_z3r0, a very respected member here at Tom Coyote and other forums, has created a wonderful tutorial which can be found here:
http://spyware-free.us/tutorials/reformat/

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance and I know Wng_z3r0 would be glad to help if you have any questions pertaining to his tutorial.
Because no reply was made. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email
(Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.


Also follow the recommendations in Tony Klein's article
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI