Hello hello,
So last night I was cleaning up my computer; I have a free version of Norton I can get with my cable subscription but it conflicts with the Avast! I had; so I uninstalled Avast! installed Norton, and uninstalled Spybot because something was wrong with it and I kept getting little notifications about it. I had Netflix and Bitorrent up and suddenly everything locked up on my comp. and I had to restart. When I did that the screen blacked out and said it was doing disc checks/scans and deleted a lot of orphan files. (During which I completely freaked out because I didn't know what was happening.) When it booted back up it seemed to be running smoothly, but would not longer connect to the internet. I restarted a lot, but nothing was changing. On a whim I started it in Safe Mode with Networking and the internet appears to work fine.
I'm not sure at all what happened. Admittedly it could potentially be the torrent since that happened just before it went crazy, but my scans haven't caught anything. I also remember Norton asking to use a proxy (I use a proxy) but I didn't think anything of it and said yes (I read somewhere it could be that but don't know how to fix it). I also hadn't restarted in a while, but I can't think of anything else new that I did other than those things.
As some background on my computer, it's running Windows 7 and it's a couple of years old. It frequently over-heats and had a major shut-down for reasons that are still unclear a few months ago (bad tech. guy fixing it). But everything had been working more or less normally until last night. The internet I have currently also works through a LAN connection (German dorm room). And when I start in regular mode if I have the cord plugged in it'll say I have internet but nothing will work, and when I take it out and then back in it'll say there's nothing at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a student and my computer is essential to life.
Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will be assisting you with your Malware related problems.
Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.
First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
If you have any problems while you are follow my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
Do not run any other scans without instruction or Add/ Remove Software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
Post all Logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.
Gmer
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here. Unzip it to your Desktop.
Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.
Double-click gmer.exe. The program will begin to run.
**Caution**
These types of scans can produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries unless advised by a trained Security Analyst
If possible rootkit activity is found, you will be asked if you would like to perform a full scan.
Click Yes.
Once the scan is complete, you may receive another notice about rootkit activity.
Click OK.
GMER will produce a log. Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
If you do not receive notice about possible rootkit activity remain on the Rootkit/Malware tab & make sure the 'Show All' button is unticked.
Click the Scan button and let the program do its work. GMER will produce a log. Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
Pleae attach the gmer.txt to your reply:
Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, browse to where you saved the file, and
Click Upload.
DDS
Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
When done, DDS will open two (2) logs DDS.txt Attach.txt
Save both reports to your desktop.
Post the content of DDS.txt in here and attach attach.txt to your reply.
Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI