Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Default Gateway Appears To Be Offline

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tremmle

tremmle

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

Hi everyone, When I try and log in to MSN messenger I get an error message that says "your default gateway appears to be offline". I click repair but it doesn't fix the problem. This problem originally occured 2 weeks ago. I had spent the better part of a week trying numerous fixes with no success. I then used the HP non-destructive system restore which reinstalled all the factory shipped programs and drivers. This worked fine for a day. I then went to microsoft.com, windows update. I attempted to run the update and get a list of what was available, howeverthe site froze. I closed the AOL browser and tried again. This time it said "unable to display page". I then tried to use Internet Explorer with the same result. Following that I was unable to open any folders or start and other programs. I got off line and rebooted, after this I was then unable to get online, couldn't open any files nor could I start any programs. I did another HP system recovery. After this 2nd recovery I couldn't open the AOL program, so I reinstalled it from the CD. I then was able to get online and log on to MSN messenger. After seeing that this worked I reinstalled Norton 360. After installing this MSN messenger and Internet Explorer give me the "your default gateway appears to be offline". Funny thing is that I had Norton 360 installed and running for several months before the problems started. So I am not sure that Norton is the cause this time. The problem occured the first time when I used a program called Spy Catcher which is part of a program called Ghost Surf 2007 Platinum, which I have since removed. Any help resolving this would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problems you have been having, you must be getting pretty fed up by now, but stick with it and we will do our best to help.
It sounds as though your Norton Security product may be blocking access, ie protecting you (as it should) but a little too zealously!

Start with the firewall in Norton see if you can allow the IP address of your network adapter to the trusted zone, sometimes it is best in addition to allow a range of IP addresses to the trusted zone rather than just specific ones.

If you are accessing the net through a router that has incorporated within it a firewall then as a temp measure (and without opening any email, as that would be asking for trouble) uninstall completely your Norton 360, you will need to have visited the Symantec website in advance of this and downloaded the special uninstaller tool and backed things up..please read here:

http://service1.syma...n...&view=docid

If you are not behind a hardware firewall in your router then engage the Windows one as a temp measure.
If you find then after checking all your settings that you have access again, then it will be a case of either finding out the correct Norton configurations (from Symantec open a ticket with them if you can) or using an alternative set of products ( for non business use there are a number of free anti virus and firewalls that provide jolly good protection. Post back here in this thread if you require further information.
Please don't surf or open emails with minimal protections.
Minimise you exposure to risk by accessing the net for a quick test(s) only!
Good luck
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Jamie Mc

Jamie Mc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

Sorry for the delay in updating, I couldn't log in here for some reason, so I registered again. When I was comparing various settings with a buddy of mine that has a similar system, we found a difference. Turns out I had 3 network connections running at the same time, while he has only one. I disabled the LAN because I was fairly certain I didn't use that. After that MSN messenger worked fine. I found out that error 80048820 is a generic error that could be any of 100's of things. My error was "your default gateway appears to be off line". The following is what I found after 2 weeks of searching for the cause. In windows XP, click START, click CONRTOL PANEL, click NETWORK and INTERNET CONNECTIONS, click the NETWORK CONNECTIONS icon. You will then see all the connections you have, they should look like computer monitors. Any of the icons that have the blue screens are connected. If you have more than one that is connected, try shutting off one and try MSN messenger again. If MSN works, great, if not, enable that connection and disable another and try MSN again. Hopefully this may help some of you.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hi Jamie Mc, Sounds like your detective work paid off, Well done on getting things back to normal. Lots of folks follow these posts looking for answere to similar problems that they are experiencing with their machines so your action in reregistering and coming back with your solution is appreciated. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Nikkia LaRee

Nikkia LaRee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

I'm experiencing the same issues.... msn tells me default gateway appears to be offline, msn and yahoo constantly logging me out and in.. not being able to connect to websites. But I just got a new pc and I have windows vista on it. I've called my cable internet provider and have had the technicians out 3 different times - it's not the provider..........so I'm told. Can anyone help? :pullhair:

#6 SilverFox-chan

SilverFox-chan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I have a friend who's experiencing similar problems, but she also has more. Such as, not being able to log into MSN messenger or her email account, and sometimes has trouble logging into Yahoo and she can't even log into her Youtube account, nor can she even view YT sometimes.

She also tried defragging her computer, but that seemed to aggravate it. Not to mention she ran Spy Bot Search and Destroy and it just got worse according to her. She's asked me to hunt down a solution as she's not completely computer savvy. :pullhair: I've tried for the last 4 days to find a solution that doesn't involve installing or downloading anything to her computer in the chance it might make things worse and as a result, having her throw me out of her window along with her computer. ^^;; :unsure: Not to mention she could do that as she's a very competent 2nd degree black belt in MMA.

I'll be making arrangements to go over to her place within the next week or so, and doing more tech support. But I'd like to go armed with some information for her.

Oh, she also runs Windows XP.

Edited by SilverFox-chan, 11 April 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#7 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hi SilverFox-chan

:welcome:

You might want to start your own topic, in order to get more attention to your
(friends) problem. Reason being, that any who have contributed to this thread,
might not have it on email-alert anymore. Also to insure you get the best help
from those who have the best knowledge on that particular subject. Right now,
you topic is displayed along with "Default Gateway Appears To Be Offline"
which in my opinion doesn't describe your problem or symptoms.

Anyhow, for starters, you could use two of the links in my signature.

The dark blue about asking for help and the purple one for slow computers.
I know you don't describe a slow computer, but there are some things in there,
which could help the situation, especially those about cleaning cache and Temp files.

Regards

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#8 SilverFox-chan

SilverFox-chan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

I couldn't find the appropriate thread to post this in. Can you help? I tried the link and all I got was what I need to post to get the most effective help and I couldn't PM you to ask.

#9 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi again

I couldn't find the appropriate thread to post this in. Can you help?

I sure can. You just post in this forum, in a new topic that is.

The new Topic button is placed to the right, just above the index.

Regards

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde