This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Pc Freezing

43 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Nelclaret,

Here's information about SAFE Mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02
_________

Yes you can use FireFox for "almost" all of your browsing. It even has a companion email client - Thunderbird, though I have no experience with it.

You can't "delete" IE from your system, because MS has "embedded" it so closely into the overall Operating System that to try to get rid of IE would cripple your Windows function. (there are some "exotic" methods for removing IE, but they are fraught with difficulty and hardly worth the effort)

IE remains a "requirement" for downloading the monthly MS Patches and Critical Updates. IE is also best for a variety of online scans such as TrendMicro, Panada, Kaspersky, Symantec, etc. You would not be able to run the Pit Test without IE, even though there is a possible work-around to use FireFox add-ons.

You "can" uninstall IE (version 7) which is still causing some difficulty on some people's machines.
http://www.pchell.com/support/ie7uninstall.shtml

When you Uninstall IE reverts to IE 6 and remains available on your machine.
May be a good idea in your situation, though we may still have to perform an IE Repair to restore correct functioning of web browsing and to correct that annoying "flutter" which may or may not be IE related in its basic "cause".
_________

If you'd like to have your Favorites available in FireFox, I believe that you can Import them from your "saved favorites file" in a similar many that you exported them from IE.

In FireFox
GoTo:
Bookmarks - Organize Bookmarks
In the new Organize Bookmarks panel - Select - File - Import
Select - From File

Then you will see an "Import Bookmarks from" panel, where you can navigate to your saved favorites.

Go ahead it do that any time you want to now.

Please ask any other questions that may be emerging during your consideration of next steps.

Best Regards
Dough Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Ironically my Internet has been down for 4 days - telephone line fault unrelated to PC problems! I will think on about next steps. At the moment I am happy enough with Firefox, although due to the 'phone fault I need to test it out further. The fluttering cursor is still with us but, in the scale of things, no big deal. Secondly - I am away on holiday (='vacation') shortly and will be back early June. Thirdly, I have made a donation to Tom Coyote. I wish it could be more and it reflects only a fraction of the time and effort you have put in to my problem. I am very grateful to you, sir. Nelclaret
Hi Nelclaret, No need for apology. It's your machine and your schedule. Take you time. And add to that – Great that you are able to get away on holiday! :) Enjoy yourself. Hope to see you sometime in June. As to donating to support the TC website… Thank you. We volunteers never see the donation process nor are we privy to amounts, etc. I don't even know what the domain registration, board utility, manpower, and bandwidth cost on a monthly basis, but I'll bet it is a significant investment for TomCoyote. We are simply grateful that the Administration of TomCoyote has made this wonderful site available for learning and occasionally to pass along some help to other Members. Your own polite, patient and persistent demeanor makes it easier for us to navigate through the difficult problems that you've experienced. :thumbup: Thank you again. That you are able to also contribute in whatever way to the support of TC website is additionally gratifying. Best Regards, Doug
Dough Back after Hols! I thought I would try the IE7 removal. I get a message listing programs installed since IE7 and warning that removal of IE7 may compromise them (eg java). This makes me nervous, somewhat. Shall I plough on and dayam the torpedoes? Regards Nelclaret.
Editing words. Yes probably. This is a very "family friendly" site and excludes many words/phrases that some other Forums allow. No matter, your message comes through loud and clear. Sure, Procede with Uninstall of IE 7.0 via Control Panel - Add/Remove. You can also completely uninstall your JAVA JRE, and then download/ reinstall it after your machine has defaulted to IE 6. Welcome back from Holiday. Doug
Hi Dough SFC SCANNOW I have a few gremlins still that I am trying to address (see - I don't always run hotfoot to TC!). I have run a couple of SFC scans as part of my efforts. I was wondering - I have not noticed any appreciable differences between the two scans. I was expecting a drop in the number of retry clicks I would have to make on the second pass but this does not seem to have been the case. I am loathe to go for the third time if this is a waste. I am sure someone will find me slumped in front of the monitor covered in cobwebs if I'm not careful! My question therefore - is this a normal outcome with SFC scannow or is this indicative of a problem? Hope you get my drift. Regards Nelclaret PS IE6 appears to be working fine.
Hi, I think Dough may be away at the moment, but if you are having trouble with running sfc then its worth persevering until it runs without asking for a disc. Don't forget you will need to reboot between scans. Each scan should only take 20 to 30 minutes, so little time for the cobwebs to collect! You may have to run this multiple times, if after running it a few times sfc still asks you for the disc then this generally indicates instability and damaged system files. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI