This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC freezing - totally stumped!

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am at my wits end. I found this forum and it looks great so I really hope someone can help me. Dell XPS 420 - 3 years old 2 x 3gig processors 4 gig ram Stock graphics Radion HD650 Win Vista 32bit
Doh! right….concentrate. My PC freezes for no reason I can work out, I don't even know what topic to use on the forum! Typing in a search engine takes forever, it stall for 5 secs after each letter, or sometimes 2. Navigating around Windows Exporer is also jerky and when streaming something like 4OD or BBC iplayer the picture will freeze (but not the audio) for 5 secs every 30 seconds or so. It can vary and be less frequent sometimes. I have run my A/V Comodo Spy Bot CCleaner Registry Boost Malware Bytes Degrag Scan Disk Task manager shows that the processor isn't being over used, and it barely uses more than 2.5gigs of RAM ever. When I look in All Processes nothing looks odd. All Windows Updates are done, and as far as I can tell my PC is squeaky clean. The fan is a bit noisier, thats the only thing that is odd. It's made Google almost unusable , yet typing this has been fine except for 2 short freezes. Any ideas at all? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Sorry can't find edit…


Hi KT66,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

You will find the "edit" button appears (bottom right) after your first 5 posts.

The first thing to do is stop using registry cleaners which can do serious harm and nothing for the performance of your PC.
I notice you have two of Reg. clean programs. Keep CCleaner as it has some other useful features, but I would uninstall Registry Boost as.it's a snake-oil program.

If this freezing problem is only happening in IE, it sounds like a general cleanup is in order.

In IE go to Tools / on the window that opens, click on the Delete button under "Browsing history" / Apply / OK.

Next, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System tools / Disk cleanup and run it.

See if that fixes the feezing. If not we wlll have to have a look at what programs you have running and how many there are.

Cheers,
Lee

Sorry can't find edit…


Hi KT66,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

You will find the "edit" button appears (bottom right) after your first 5 posts.

The first thing to do is stop using registry cleaners which can do serious harm and nothing for the performance of your PC.
I notice you have two of Reg. clean programs. Keep CCleaner as it has some other useful features, but I would uninstall Registry Boost as.it's a snake-oil program.

If this freezing problem is only happening in IE, it sounds like a general cleanup is in order.

In IE go to Tools / on the window that opens, click on the Delete button under "Browsing history" / Apply / OK.

Next, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System tools / Disk cleanup and run it.

See if that fixes the feezing. If not we wlll have to have a look at what programs you have running and how many there are.

Cheers,
Lee



thanks , Ccleaner gets rid of all temp files and cookies, and have already done disk clean up

I will uninstall Registry Boost, though I don't have it at start up.
it froze three times, 2 secs a time, whilst typing this.
and I use Firefox and Chrome only, the freeze happens when using other apps like Excel and Word etc but is most noticeable when streaming and trying to type something in a search box.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests (run the Overdrive rest).

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

————————
Courtesy of Rich
————————

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI