Hi
Typing this quick before I get frozen again!
PC is freezing regularly, within 5 mins or so of start up. Reboot is the only way out.
Where do I start?
Thanks - excuse brevity of post but I am racing the clock - will try a HJT log on that thread if I can manage it!
Nelclaret
HELP!
Excuse brevity of post but I am racing against time!
PC is continually freezing about 5 mins after start up
What should I do!?
NL
Will try a HJT log
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer freezing and I hope that you will get a quick response form an expert in the malware removal forum, I do not check HJT logs, but I did notice that you had missed sending the header from the HJT log, however please don't make an additional post in the malware forum (until you receive a reply) as that may be read as a "reply" and the volunteer experts may think you are being helped already and there could be a danger that they would move on to someone else's post which had not yet received a reply. The only effect therefore would be to delay getting the help you asked for.
We will wait here on this forum until your machine has been declared clean by an expert on the malware forum and then please feel free to post back here if you are still having issues with your machine, and we will do our best to help
I do not want to provide any advice here until your log has been examined by a malware expert due to the risks of potential conflicting advice.
However it is generally very unwise to have more than one "real time" anti virus application running at the same time!
The general rule is one 2 way software firewall and one anti virus application (providing real time protection) and no more!
Regards
paws
Ooops. Looks like paws can type faster than me.
Still I'll leave my largely redundant post in support of what paws has indicated to you.
Hey nelclaret,
You still have (2) two AntiVirus utilities installed and running active on that machine.
This was pointed out to you in a previous post by little eagle in a previous Malware Forum post of your HJT Log.
Stick with your current Malware Removal Posted Thread(do not start posting new topics until you complete work in the current one)
Lack of follow-up from you will frustrate your progress and make it impossibly for the experts to assist you.
Please also note that the HJT Log that you have most recently posted is not "complete", since you did not include the Heading. But … Don't try to make any changes to remedy the "incomplete Log" until you receive a reply from an expert.
We will not be posting any additional recommendations to you or to this thread until you complete your Malware Removal work with follow-up to your advisor's recommendations.
Other than the double-AV, your log doesn't look bad at all.
There are definitely other things showing (non-malware) that are compromising your machine's performance.
Feel free to post back here, after you get the "all clear" from your advisor.
Paws/Dough
Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.
With regards to the two Anti-Virus issue. Could you give me a clue here?
I used to have Panda running bit that became inactive after 12 months. I tried to remove it and had terrible trouble in doing so (which I won't bore you with here but was the subject of previous
post(s).
To cut a long story short if you are referring to Panda as being one of the operational Anti-Virus programs then, as far as I know, it is not (although I am miles from being expert on the matter). If perchance, it is running (or elements of it are) then how would I turn it off?
The 'other' one is AVG which IS active. I don't know of another - unless it is Microsoft's own (Windows?). As you can see, I am puzzled as to which two you have identified and I would appreciate a heads-up.
Thank you for your advice about the HJT log. I will await a response as you suggest. My only excuse is that, with the system problems I was having (an still am intermittently this evening) I was in a fearful rush to post between freeze-ups (which also led to the double post on this thread earlier - apologies)
I am mortified if I have caused any inconvenience. I know you are volunteers and I can only say a profound thank you for the service you provide for people like me.
Nelclaret
No Problem Nelclaret, and mortification is optional here.
These are still showing in your Running Processes:
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\passrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panda Software\PavShld\pavprsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\pavsrv51.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\psimsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\AVENGINE.EXE
____________
That pretty much indicates that Panda is still there in a big way and active, though I don't see it in your 04's.
_____________
Do you find Panda in your Control Panel - Add/Remove?
What steps did you take to uninstall it.
_________
It's probably important to get the Panda issue resolved.
I doubt that there is much else in your HJT Log to worry about.
Then you have some other resource hog applications running active that you could benefit by disabling.
___________
But First……………. We will stay out of the way and wait for a Malware Expert to have a look at the Log.
Best Regards
Dough
Thank you. There is a gentleman looking at the HJT log now and I await his advice.
With regards to Panda. Trying to cut a long story short, and to the best of my memory (a few zillion brain cells have gone since then):
I tried to remove Panda via uninstall as it had expired (I had it for 12 months when I bought the PC). PC went haywire - everytime I loaded I had to click through numerous warning messages about some missing application/file (?) to just get started. Tried system restore but no go. Problem persisted.
Posted problem on Tom Coyote (probably long since archieved)
It seems that whatever I did, I could not uninstall Panda or even restore it to the state it was in before I tried to.
In desperation (and I accept that this was unwise) I fiddled about with the panda program files (ie removing some to see if this would stop the continual warning messages). With a large amount of luck it would seem that I took something relevant out as the warning messages at last stoped and I had a functioning system.
As it stands I therefore have part of the Panda program in the system files and the files that I removed are kept in a temporary holding file for a rainy day. This, I guess is far from ideal but it works - after a fashion.
Phew - and that was the short version! I hope it makes some sense. I guess you must be throwing up your hands in horror at this amateur hack and slash story.
Anyway, I shall retire for the evening on that note.
Regards
Nelclaret.
:dumb:
Now that you've been found malware free and concluded your work in Malware Removal Forum, please do the following:
Let's get an overview of your system and how it is presently functioning.
go to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and Run the Full Tests (Full Tests appear in the left hand column of that page)
(takes about 2 minutes on BroadBand, and a little more with dial-up)
When you receive your Results, click on the TechExpress Option
Copy/Paste the entire TechExpress address link back here into this thread.
We can help with analysis, recommendations, and possibly get a better idea of what's causing your present difficulty.
Hi Nelclaret,
Good work over in Malware Removal.
You can regain some of your system resources by disabling (via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)) the items listed with Purple background in the Windows Results page of your Pit Test results.
Any of those "Purple" items will still be able to be run manually if you want to use them.
Some of them will replace themselves into your StartUp list each time you run them manually.
It's a common feature of some software, that the vendor wants to keep their product prominently displayed and available.
You can repeat the process of disabling via MSCONFIG after each use to again reduce the StartUp load.
GoogleToolBarNotifier is particularly agressive, and you'll need to also disable its Service via MSCONFIG - Services(tab)
_______________
Do you use Hibernate?
If not, you can regain some system resources by turning it off.
_____________
You can regain a huge amount of Hard Drive space by reducing the amount or space reserved for System Restore.
______________
Defrag your Hard Drives!!!
Run your Disk Defrag tool (3) three times consecutively to gain full benefit from Defragging at this time.
Then you can routinely Defrag, perhaps once weekly, with a single run of Disk Defrag.
It is useful to Defrag "before" installing new software AND after installing new software.
_______________
Your system would probably show significant gain if you installed more RAM
_______________
You may see a small benefit from uninstalling various of the games and online gaming utilities that you don't use anymore.
_____________
You have both RealPlayer and Real Alternative
Do you use either one?
I generally favor Real Alternative because of the mild adware/spyware characteristics of RealPlayer udate utilitiy.
_______________
You can probably achieve a significant improvement in your Video performance by updating your Video Driver.
Is that "onboard" video? If so, the driver will be available as part of your Chipset Drivers, available from the Motherboard manufacturer's website
____________________________________________
Panda probably won't be bothering you anymore since you have successfully disabled its Services.
But the Panda files remain on your hard drive.
Do you want to do anything about Panda at this time?
If you do, tell us more about what you actually did initially when you moved Panda files and saved some of them in separate folders.
There appear to be many folks who had similar difficulty uninstalling after their free trial of Panda expired.
There are several specific recommendations posted around the Internet.
Not all of the recommendations appear to be entirely satisfactory.
And the recommendations involve relatively vigorous work to accomplish.
You may or may not want to bother with the work at this time.
If you are satisfied with how your machine is now running, you can certainly take a "wait and see" position.
Or if you want to proceed with erradicating Panda, you can dive in now.
Comment: Panda has been a well functioning antivirus and suite for thousands of users. It is a strong and useful program. Nothing in the recommendations here at TC should be interpreted as derrogatory about the product of Panda.
I often use and recommend the excellent Panda Online Scan, but I don't think I'd want to install the full product installed on my machine at this time.
Let us know what you want to do.
Best Regards
Many thanks for your post. Some suggestions are a little'cosmic' for such a simple soul as me but I have done what I can.
To address your points in order:
PURPLE PITSTOP ITEMS - that site shows some purple items as safe for disabling and some as optional to disable (they have some checked but not all). Are you suggesting that I can safely disable ALL the purple items (ie checked and unchecked)? I have done neither yet pending your advice.
HIBERNATE ?
SYSTEM RESTORE - done
DEFRAG - done! (x3) This is the one that staggered me. I frequently check this using the 'analyse' option and EVERY TIME I get a message that 'You do not need to Defrag this volume'. Consequently It must be well over 6 months (possibly over a year) since I have defragged. I will ignore any such messages and defrag religiously on a weekly basis from now on !
MORE RAM - no doubt.
UNINSTALLING UNUSED GAMES etc - I have cut this down to the bare minimum
REAL PLAYER / ALTERNATIVE I'll look at this
VIDEO DRIVER sorry ????
PANDA I will also agree that PANDA served me very well whilst running. Any jaundiced view I may have now arises because of the uninstall difficulties. As it stands I am happy to have disabled it at last and, as you suggest I will not be likely to get any further problems from it, I am content to let it sleep. Of course, if it awakes I will gird up my loins and get back to you…
Dough - thanks very much for your advice. If you could give me a steer on the purple items issue I would be grateful. A donation to TC will be winging its way shortly.
In the meantime I will adopt a wait and see mode. I am hoping for an improvement in the freeze-ups.
Dough
Further to above - early optimism fading.
PC still freezing on start-up( cursor sticks - 'blinking light goes out - reboot is only option)
Took me 5 attempts to get this message posted.
Will looking at system event log help at all? Any other ideas.
Again, brevity post in case I get frozen out again.
Nelclaret
I have checked the system event logs and findthe same 2 errors coming up which appear to correspond to freeze-ups. Of course I am ay be barking up the wrong tree but here is one of them:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 06/05/2007
Time: 18:13:39
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP
Description:
The LicCtrl Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
The other has similar wording but refers to "Digitalcam Pro Video Device" failing to start.
Apologies if rubbish but these seem to be two consistent errors showing up at 'freeze time"
I'll shut up for now until I hear from you further.