Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91913 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

I Cannot Get To One Website

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scott H

Scott H

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Here is the deal. I need to access a local community forum. I could as of last night but today, NOTHING. I get a page saying the site cannot be found or the page from explorer telling me website not found. I have cleared the cookies, temp files and history. What in the world has caused this? Oh, I am having no trouble getting to any other site.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Try flushing your DNS. Start - Run - (type)cmd - (a DOS box will open) At the Prompt (type)ipconfig /flushdns - Enter Restart your machine.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

And, of course, it could be that the site is down. TomCoyote was "down" last night for a couple of hours during upgrade/maintenance. Another site where I volunteer was also down yesterday briefly, and then again today, some of my collegues PM'd me that they were having difficulty logging into the site. It happens, and it may have nothing to do with your connection or your machine.

#4 Scott H

Scott H

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Here is the address www.claynews.net It is not down, another computer in my house is on the site right now. Wireless network. I flushed the dns, no change.

#5 Scott H

Scott H

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

I fixed it. In my Network connection properties the Use the following DNS Server addresses box was checked. I checked the Obtain automatically and it now works. Why did this get set this way?

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Good Catch, Scott H :thumbup:

In my Network connection properties the Use the following DNS Server addresses box was checked. I checked the Obtain automatically and it now works.

Why did this get set this way?

Someone may try to explain the answer to your question in technical terms....
But the real reason is that Network Interface Configurations can behave in strange and mysterious ways!

Did you recently set up or edit the Network Connection?