This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Shutdown Problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Just of late (3 days or so) everytime I shutdown my computer I get in the "What do you want the computer to do" Box - Install updates and shutdown – instead of "Shutdown" – this started happening after I got some updates from microsoft – I have scanned my computer with all the adaware software and also anti virus – but all clean – I've even rebooted my computer and shutdown knowing that there has been no updates downloaded to my computer but the same thing happens can somebody help me fix this problem please THANX WIN XP SP2 – IE Ver. 6 SP2 McAfee Virusscan (Ver.10, Build 10.0.27, Engine 5100) McAfee Pfp (Build 7.1.113) Ad-Aware SE, Avg Anti-spyware, Ccleaner, Drweb-cureit, Hjt(1.99.1), Spybot-S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Stinger av, VundoFix
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with the "closing down" message. If its one of the recent updates that has been causing the problem then it may be best to consider uninstalling each update one by one until the culprit is found. As the problem only started in the last 3 days there should not be too many. A different approach is to use the system restore facility, restore your computer to a date before the problem started and see if the problem has gone away. If it has then you can consider installing each update one by one. In any event be prepared for lots of rebooting! Regards paws
Hi Paws - thanx for your reply - I asked around about this problem and a friend of mine also had the same problem - I asked how he fixed it and he said he just left it and it fixed itself - so I'll try this method first - if it doesn't work in a day or 2 I'll do the uninstall bit with the updates – once again thanx for your quick response to my problem – will let you know how I get on :wavey:
Hi tsunami, I like the sound of your friends' fix. It sure is a lot easier than mine! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. Regards paws
Hi Paws - The problems that I am having with the install updates/shutdown – I've noticed that it is the same update that is causing the problem – "Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)" - I had a look at my download/update history in microsoft.com home page and sure enough
this update was first installed in my computer on the 11th April 2007 – (this was when I first noticed the problem) and also it has been reinstalled over a dozen times because of the shutdown etc – I uninstalled it and rebooted the computer – reconnected to the internet and sure enough there it was in the system tray (gold shield) awaiting to be installed as a new update – I looked around in the microsoft.com home page but couldn't find any suggestions regarding my problem – surely I'm not the first person or the last with this problem – their home page is abit intimidating - not very user friendly so I'm still hoping there is somebody out there with a fix for this problem – my mates fix hasn't worked as yet (here's hoping) So at the moment nothing has changed but at least I know what the problem is now – I'm surfing the forums to see if anyone has a fix – If I get a fix I will keep you posted
Hi tsunami, Well done for isolating the "update" that is causing you the problem. I have checked my machines and none of them have this update as I am running the 32 bit versions of Windows XP not the 64. Hang on, a thought has just occurred to me!….I take it you are running XP X64 and not 32? Sorry to ask but if you have downloaded the 64 bit version then that's probably the answer Regards paws
Hi Paws - Problem Fixed (so far anyway)

– I googled my problem which gave me a link to Windows BBS Forum - I registered there posted my problem and 1 hr later I had a reply which told me to do this :-

Try uninstalling the update through Add/Remove Programs - you will need to check the 'Show Updates' box at the top of the window.
Then turn off Automatic Updates and select 'Notify me but don't automatically download or install them'.
When notified go for the custom install and decline KB929399 - it is not important unless the detail applies to you ….


so I did and it's working so far – thanx very much for your input/help - most appreciated

:wavey:
Hi tsunami, Thats really good news, well done. I like the fix! I always use the "notify " option rather than auto update (this gives me a chance to see and veto anything that I dont like the look of or which is not likely to be of use to me.) Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI