I have been experiencing this for quite a time now and have not been able to resolve the issue.
I have minimized non essential programs from startup and at present only have 31 processes running in Task manager.
P4 2.4 GHZ, Intel MB D845pece, 768 mb pc2700 ram, Antec 480 P.S., Nvidia MX440, Sb audigy2, 120gb WD HD with 87 GB free space.
I run WXP home edition upgraded to SP2, AVG 7.5, Using only the SP2 firewall, Net framework 2.0, and ALL windows updates are the latest except I have not installed IE 7 and any windows updates associated with it.
I have uninstalled the AVG 7.5 and still the same problem at shutdown exists. I have no viruses, no spyware or malware, submitted a Hijacklog file with no problems, installed UPHclean, switched out ram memory, switched out video cards, uninstalled sound card & drivers and reinstalled, ran chkdsk, defragged, ran registry cleaners such as CCcleaner etc., Ad also tried turning off the welcome screen and this shutdown issue still occurs freezing at the same point.
Everything in Device Manager looks fine and everything works including loading windows in startup.
The PC was purchased in Nov. 2002 from Gateway and I have upgraded the P.S. and video card several times and always cleaned out previous video drivers with Driver cleaner pro before installing new video drivers. Also upgraded the sound card & memory.
In task manager I do have seven svchosts running and I dont know if one of these are preventing the shutdown from occuring naturally.
This occurs even in Safe mode with networking and when in normal safe mode the mouse cursor doesnt freeze but I still have to shut the pc down manually.
The Intel MB is still running the original Bios dated 10/2002.
I have never attempted to update the bios for fear of screwing up the system.
There is nothing abnormal in eventviewer in application or system.
Any suggestions I havent tried already would be appreciated.
Regards
I d\l the shutdown fix on line 76 : AUTO END TASKS TO ENABLE A PROPER SHUTDOWN and also the UNDO and when I attempt to click on this reg file fix the prompt comes up to either run or cancel and when I click run I get the flash prompt saying access denied.
I am logged in as the administrator of this pc.
Also I cannot right click on the mentioned reg file and then click edit to view the file in notepad. It just does the same thing and then denies access.
How can I install this reg file into my registry to see if it will help my shutdown issue. I already have the UPHclean installed and it hasnt helped but apparently this line 76 fix is different then the UPHclean since it is also listed on this web site as a possible fix.
I think I've read your entire thread here and at the Pit.
It is not clear to me whether or not you completed the instructions to Run System File Checker
You describe various problems with not having an XP CD, but "I think" you have indicated that you now have a functional XP Home CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it?
Missing or corrupted operating system files could be causing this difficulty (specifically at Kelly's Corner)
_________________
It is also the case that various third-party softwares can cause problems at ShutDown.
Joe C mentioned Roxio, and you stated that you've never had Roxio on the machine…. OK.
I see:
CaptureWiz.exe <– probably a PrintScreen utility, but I've never heard of or used it. It sure doesn't need to be running active all the time.
I don't know how CaptureWiz.exe configures itself to run active from StartUp. Maybe you can use MSCONFIG to disable it or its Services, to get rid of it. Or maybe it has settings in its own Tool/Options to disable it from running active from Startup. <– you'll have to investigate.
WMPnetwk.exe <– Media Sharing doesn't need to be running all the time
– In Windows Media Player turn off media sharing
in the library tab right click on it > click "media sharing" unclick the media sharing tab and click ok
– Turn off the "WMPnetwk.exe" service
Under the "RUN" command in the start meni type "services.msc"
Scroll down to "Windows media player network sharing"
Double click and under startup type set to disabled
__________
Please consider Disabling the above (2) two items.
Are there more third-party applications or processes running in your "31" items. Your posted image of TaskManager does not show the entire list, so you are on your own to explore further down the list, or take a new screen shot and post the additional image.
________
Let us know when you've completed a full run of System File Checker'
sfc /scannow <— should take more than (2) two minutes, but less than (10) ten minutes.
If it opens and closes within just a few seconds……….. It didn't Run.
I think I've read your entire thread here and at the Pit.
It is not clear to me whether or not you completed the instructions to Run System File Checker
You describe various problems with not having an XP CD, but "I think" you have indicated that you now have a functional XP Home CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it?
Missing or corrupted operating system files could be causing this difficulty (specifically at Kelly's Corner)
_________________
It is also the case that various third-party softwares can cause problems at ShutDown.
Joe C mentioned Roxio, and you stated that you've never had Roxio on the machine…. OK.
I see:
CaptureWiz.exe <– probably a PrintScreen utility, but I've never heard of or used it. It sure doesn't need to be running active all the time.
I don't know how CaptureWiz.exe configures itself to run active from StartUp. Maybe you can use MSCONFIG to disable it or its Services, to get rid of it. Or maybe it has settings in its own Tool/Options to disable it from running active from Startup. <– you'll have to investigate.
WMPnetwk.exe <– Media Sharing doesn't need to be running all the time
– In Windows Media Player turn off media sharing
in the library tab right click on it > click "media sharing" unclick the media sharing tab and click ok
– Turn off the "WMPnetwk.exe" service
Under the "RUN" command in the start meni type "services.msc"
Scroll down to "Windows media player network sharing"
Double click and under startup type set to disabled
__________
Please consider Disabling the above (2) two items.
Are there more third-party applications or processes running in your "31" items. Your posted image of TaskManager does not show the entire list, so you are on your own to explore further down the list, or take a new screen shot and post the additional image.
________
Let us know when you've completed a full run of System File Checker'
sfc /scannow <— should take more than (2) two minutes, but less than (10) ten minutes.
If it opens and closes within just a few seconds……….. It didn't Run.
Doug, first let me say Thanks for following my threads in attempting to resolve this shutdown issue.
The capturewiz program was just the program I was using at the time to capture the jpeg of the below Task Manager list depicting the running processes. It does NOT run in startup or in services.
Here are two of them in photobucket links showing the entire list since I couldnt take a snapshot of all of them in one capture.
I also shutdown this process since the above photo captures on your latest suggestions:
WMPnetwk.exe
At present I have other reg files associated with entering or importing registration entrys into the registry and they work just fine when I left click and then hit OK to change or enter them into the registry. I have no idea why the ones at Kelly Corner doesnt work.
I have NOT run the sfc /scannow as of yet even though I did create and burn with nero an Iso file of my original XP Sp1a & the Sp2 266mb d\l from microsoft slipstreamed within the iso using the nlite program.
I havent performed the sfc /scannow as of yet since I was waiting on a response from someone if I run the SFC will this overwrite any hotfixes or recent windows updates from Microsoft. All of my windows updates are up to date with the exception of IE 7 that I did not want to install because of problems some folks have experienced with the new IE 7.
So will the System File Checker run create problems with recent updates & previous hotfixes from Microsoft?
No, it will not.
SFC uses both the XP CD and the i386 folder as reference resources for replacing missing or corrupted files.
And even if that wasn't the case, a quick run of MS Updates would identify any critical updates and patches that the MS Update index identifies as necessary.
Run SFC, and then just to be sure, run MS Updates.
Windows Media Player - Should Not - be an item that Starts from StartUp list.
Open your MediaPlayer - Tool - options - Library(tab)
REMOVE - the checkmark from in front of "Retrieve additional information from the internet"
On Privacy (tab)
Remove all checkmarks except:
X - Automaticall check if protected files need to be refreshed
X - Set Clock on devices automatically
Cookies should be set to - MEDIUM
On Security (tab) - content
The only checkmark should be for:
Run script commands and rich media streams when the Player is in a Web Page
on Player (tab) - Player Settings
X - Download Codec automatically
X - Update once a month
No other checkmarks on the Player(tab) panel, except the very last one:
X - Start mini Player for filenames that contain the text: voiceatt.wav <– if yours reads differently, please inform us.
_________
Reboot after making the above changes.
How's the machine running now?
Best Regards
I attempted to run the sfc /scannow [SFC] and it started running, got to around 10% on the blue bar and requested the cd. I inserted the Slipstreamed CD I made which is 671mb which does contain SP1, SP2,i386, etc. and then clicked on the retry tab. It started or resumed where it left off and within 10 seconds it requested the CD again. The information tab says it is either the wrong cd or the cd-rom isnt functioning.
I inserted the slipstreamed disc in both the cd=rom labeled D: & E: and it would not work from either drive. Both of these drives are functioning.
Is one of these drives supposed to be labeled C: in order for it to retrieve the data?
I know I dont boot from the hardrive from recently glancing in the bios after hitting F2 during bootup.
Regards
P.S. I performed all the checks you suggested in Windows Media Player and prevented the Windows media network from starting up with windows.
You don't have to change anything in BIOS to run SFC, as it is designed to run in the Normal Windows environment.
SFC may be having difficulty identifying/reading your slip-streamed CD, if something went wrong during its construction.
SFC may still be "looking" for C:\i386 because of the changes you made earlier in the Registry subsequent to reading the Marc Lyron article and instructions about SFC.
You may need to reverse those changes.
Or alternatively, when SFC asks for the CD, you may have an option to direct SFC to look at C:\i386
The fact that SFC is asking for a source (CD or otherwise) is indication that it has found a missing or corrupted Operating System file that needs to be replaced (copied from the original source of the CD or C:\i386.
You may be on the right track to be pursuing SFC. Hopefully you'll get it to complete.
I've had circumstances where I've had to run SFC more than once in sequence to identify and replace all missing or corrupted operating system files.
Be persistent.
Best Regards
I do know that even though I have the autoplay function set to prompt me to which action to take when inserting a disc into either cdrom drive to ask me which service I want to use, the splash screen never comes up. I have to left click on MY COMPUTER to see if the disc is detected in the respective drive and it is.
I have no idea why sfc keeps asking for the disc since my registry settings in regards to the sourcepaths appear to be allright if I am looking in the correct registry strings that should direct windows to the correct cdrom. I may not know exactly where all in the registry to look.
One thing that appears suspect to me is that when I insert my Original XP SP 1.1 disc in the cdrom and check the total size it is 617MB. The d\l of SP2 from microsoft is 266MB before being extracted or merged into the SP1.1 contents. Why is the recently created disc I burned only 671MB total? Shouldnt it be larger? Just asking since I dont know!
Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI