This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI, I am having an issue with updating windows. I went to the website and checked for updates, then downloaded them, but then it said I needed to restart my computer, but when I go to reboot it always says "Click turn off to install important updates and turn off your computer". Well..it has said this for the last month and it never seems to install when the computer shuts off. Could I get some help with this issue? When I ran a McAfee security scan it said that I need to install 15 windows updates! Thanks in advance.
when you tell the pc to shut down do you leave it shutdown on it's own or do you then turn of the power?? updates need you to leave the pc powered on and it will turn itself off eventually when the updates are installed. :popcorn:
I let my computer shut down on its own. I am new to this website and to trying to fix my own computer so please bare with me as I am not at all computer savy. I went to the malware removal page and followed all of the instructions in the "What to do if your Computer's running slowly." section. I also followed the instructions and installed MVPs Hosts and disabled the windows DNS Client Service. So I then restarted my computer and..it actually updated microsoft! The only thing is, that it only installed one update. So I went to the Microsoft update site and it turns out that all of the downloads have been failing when it tries to update! So I am about to go back to the first one that failed and try to download them myself, one at a time. Another thing that I noticed is that my computer was running MUCH slower than before I rebooted! After following all of the instructions on the malware removal page I also installed the Housecall online virus scan launcher, so I am wondering, could that be conflicting with my full version TrendMirco Antivirus program?? Thanks for any help, it's much needed and appreciated! :)
Now, for some reason, this is the only update that my computer refuses to download successfully, Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB982311). :wall: I don't get it!
Hi Cadeonna, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Try re-registering the windows update components:
  • Open a Command Prompt: click on Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter.
  • Type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL and press Enter.
  • Should get the message DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded, Click OK.
  • Repeat for each of the following:
  • REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
  • REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
  • REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
  • REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
  • REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
  • REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
  • REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
  • Reboot
If it still fails, make sure you have the latest update software. Download and install it from here: Windows Installer 4.5

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI