This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't get windows updates or shutdown properly

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, A newbie in need of help! About 3 months ago I stopped being able to get windows updates. I have tried manual updates, auto updates, connecting directly to the windows site through internet explorer, etc. Always locks up at different sections of the procedure. I am also experiencing a problem shutting down… I get to the "windows is shutting down" screen and then freezes. I have left it on for over an hour with no response. The only way to shut down is to use the power button. Out of desperation, I have downloaded HiJack This and created a log. I have also run Spy-bot, Adaware, Microsoft Anti-spyware, AOL Spyware, I also use Spyblaster and Spyware Doctor. All have found only minor problems and were corrected. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 8:50:45 PM, on 11/10/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Thanks, Harold
I had problems with updates and tried 20 things, but this is what finally worked for me………..now please note, I don't know much about this, just saying after 2 months of trying solutions, this is what did it for me: This issue most likely occurs when the following registry key or its sub key is missing or corrupt. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify At this time, let's refer to the following steps to restore this key. 1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\fix.reg and press Enter. Choose Yes when you are prompted. 2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\crypt32chain] "Asynchronous"=dword:00000000 "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "DllName"=hex(2):63,00,72,00,79,00,70,00,74,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,\ 6c,00,00,00 "Logoff"="ChainWlxLogoffEvent" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\cryptnet] "Asynchronous"=dword:00000000 "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "DllName"=hex(2):63,00,72,00,79,00,70,00,74,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,2e,00,64,00,\ 6c,00,6c,00,00,00 "Logoff"="CryptnetWlxLogoffEvent" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\cscdll] "DLLName"="cscdll.dll" "Logon"="WinlogonLogonEvent" "Logoff"="WinlogonLogoffEvent" "ScreenSaver"="WinlogonScreenSaverEvent" "Startup"="WinlogonStartupEvent" "Shutdown"="WinlogonShutdownEvent" "StartShell"="WinlogonStartShellEvent" "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui] @="" "DLLName"="igfxsrvc.dll" "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 "Impersonate"=dword:00000001 "Unlock"="WinlogonUnlockEvent" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\ScCertProp] "DLLName"="wlnotify.dll" "Logon"="SCardStartCertProp" "Logoff"="SCardStopCertProp" "Lock"="SCardSuspendCertProp" "Unlock"="SCardResumeCertProp" "Enabled"=dword:00000001 "Impersonate"=dword:00000001 "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\Schedule] "Asynchronous"=dword:00000000 "DllName"=hex(2):77,00,6c,00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,69,00,66,00,79,00,2e,00,64,00,\ 6c,00,6c,00,00,00 "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "StartShell"="SchedStartShell" "Logoff"="SchedEventLogOff" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\sclgntfy] "Logoff"="WLEventLogoff" "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 "DllName"=hex(2):73,00,63,00,6c,00,67,00,6e,00,74,00,66,00,79,00,2e,00,64,00,\ 6c,00,6c,00,00,00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn] "DLLName"="WlNotify.dll" "Lock"="SensLockEvent" "Logon"="SensLogonEvent" "Logoff"="SensLogoffEvent" "Safe"=dword:00000001 "MaxWait"=dword:00000258 "StartScreenSaver"="SensStartScreenSaverEvent" "StopScreenSaver"="SensStopScreenSaverEvent" "Startup"="SensStartupEvent" "Shutdown"="SensShutdownEvent" "StartShell"="SensStartShellEvent" "PostShell"="SensPostShellEvent" "Disconnect"="SensDisconnectEvent" "Reconnect"="SensReconnectEvent" "Unlock"="SensUnlockEvent" "Impersonate"=dword:00000001 "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SSOExec] "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 "Impersonate"=dword:00000001 "DLLName"="%windir%\\temp\\sso\\ssoexec.dll" "Unlock"="SSOExec" "Lock"="SSOReset" "Logoff"="SSOReset" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\termsrv] "Asynchronous"=dword:00000000 "DllName"=hex(2):77,00,6c,00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,69,00,66,00,79,00,2e,00,64,00,\ 6c,00,6c,00,00,00 "Impersonate"=dword:00000000 "Logoff"="TSEventLogoff" "Logon"="TSEventLogon" "PostShell"="TSEventPostShell" "Shutdown"="TSEventShutdown" "StartShell"="TSEventStartShell" "Startup"="TSEventStartup" "MaxWait"=dword:00000258 "Reconnect"="TSEventReconnect" "Disconnect"="TSEventDisconnect" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\wlballoon] "DLLName"="wlnotify.dll" "Logon"="RegisterTicketExpiredNotificationEvent" "Logoff"="UnregisterTicketExpiredNotificationEvent" "Impersonate"=dword:00000001 "Asynchronous"=dword:00000001 3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file. 4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\fix.reg and press Enter to run the commands we have pasted. 5. A dialog box will pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\fix.reg to the registry?". Click Yes on this dialog box 6. Reboot the machine. 7. After the machine reboots use Windows Update and see if the problem has gone away.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI