This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Conflict between HP printer and Office 2003?

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Isn't it just ridiculous!! I could not believe it, and was actually rather surprised at myself for not finding it sooner - I usually click all around and about until something or other works…But HP didn't help either - I guess their techs know nothing about Windows security blocking their files. Think I should write them a note??? :) The message says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." All the files I got from HP have this same message and I am unblocking them all. I wonder what setting in Windows I need to change to stop this from happening. At least I will know what to immediately check before going through all this nonsense next time! :) Have a wonderful evening!

"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."



I sure haven't seen that message before.
What operating system are you running.
What Firewall and Antivirus do you have installed?
Maybe another tool set?
Maybe WinPatrol?
_________

Disable something to make the message go away? I think not.
Sounds like it's doing a fine job of protecting, especially if it's good enough to try to persuade folks to use Epson and Cannon, instead of HP.. :P

Glad you got it sorted.
Keep the protection, you know what it's doing now and how to manage it.

Best Regards
I'm on XP Pro SP2. I have AVG anti-spy, Avast! AV, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, Ashampoo firewall, Windows Firewall enabled, plus a router we just bought yesterday. I have ERUNT and Tuneup Utilities, Your Uninstaller, and DupKiller (although it's overwhelming and I will probably uninstall it - too many files to count on all these reinstalls!). Think I'm covered in the AV/antispyware department??? LOL. I do not have WinPatrol. Maybe that is part of Avast's coverage? I'll check its toolset and see…It is a good idea, I was just frustrated by not knowing what was happening! A good resolution after all the trouble with XP earlier on! Juliane
What I've found works with USB issues and HP printers is this. Go to Windows update, and make sure the printer is connected to the pc. Do a custom update. Under the software section you should find an HP printer update for your particular device. It's usually either a DOT4 USB print support or IEEE1284.4 printer support. If you down load this update all your printing issues should resolve. I don't know why this issue is such a problem with HP printers, but I have found this to work 100% of the time in our business enviornment. Hope that helps a little.

Doug h,

Still no luck in getting the HP 2210v installed. I went through all the steps to uninstall ALL of the HP software, including a command prompt box where I had to OK deletion of about 15 or 20 files, one at a time. I then tried to install the downloaded drivers and software from my desktop, after pulling my cable plug out and de-activating Ashampoo and Avast. I do have other spyware running but I don't think they could block this download from installing.

The download looked promising, but then when it came time to plug in the USB, the same problems occurred. The Found New Hardware bubble pops up, but then the title of the hardware will change between hp psc 2200 and Hewlett-Packard PSC 2200, as if it were 2 separate items. Then the installation window appears and tells me that Installation Failed - The device driver is unknown. If I click "finish" on that window (the only option), the Found New Hardware bubble reappears, and then the Install Failed Window returns. That becomes an endless cycle that usually requires me to unplug the USB in order to clear it.

HP chat has been no help - they keep disconnecting me. MS is no help - nothing directly on the interface between XP SP2 and these printers.

I did find one interesting item - in Control Panel, under Scanners and Cameras, the HP is listed there. I tried its properties, hoping I could roll back the driver or something, but it's as if it's a free-standing device, when the scanner is part of the copier and fax.

I'm getting weary of this exercise, it seems fruitless, but I don't want to have to go out and buy another printer, either. Any other ideas? Thanks a lot. Juliane

Hi Julianne\doug, Interesting find there. One question though, Did you go to the hp website and try to download the file or start the installation from the website itself

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI