I am looking for or has anyone messed around with scanner software that will scan doc's and what not with a HP Scanner, my hp scaner software is messed up and windows will not un-install it, or I cannot install it, it comes up with an error each time I try. The last time this happen it ended up trashing my whole operating system. Not wanting to take that chance again.
Looked on the net and with all kinds of software I am not sure which one is a safe one to use, any suggestions?
Jimbo1
Hi Jimmy if you just want to scan stuff then Microsoft Office 2003 will do the job just fine ( that's what is on the machine I'm on at the moment)
Look for Microsoft Document Imaging or scanning….
Hi Jimmy if you just want to scan stuff then Microsoft Office 2003 will do the job just fine ( that's what is on the machine I'm on at the moment)
Look for Microsoft Document Imaging or scanning….
Aye thats what I would like to do, but my HP Photo Smart 4400 software is messed up, I cannot un-install it or re-install it, coming up with a error each time I try installation has failed, please contact your admin for support. O it will print fine till the cows come home, but thats it, the rest of the software got hosed during a virus hit about a year and half ago and only fix at that time was to reformat windows because of the corrupted files.
I may have to go that route again but if I do then heck on it by by xp and hello 7, but hey it was worth a shot I wanted to find some sort of software to try and test and see if the scanner part would work without shelling out a few dollors for something I cannot use, the office thing did not work.
When I get caught up on the work and backing up everything, I my try messing with the software again and give app removal a shot to see what happens. Thanks for letting me know I did not know about the MS office scanner thing, thats cool.
Hi jimmy. yes you will need the HP driver to be installed, before the computer will recognise properly the C4400
If the HP installation has failed to set up correctly, it can be the devil of a job to sort it out as the HP software is well known for refusing occasionally to uninstall completely……when the install was not 100% completed….. it leaves behind just sufficient to stop a complete uninstall or a reinstall!
Thankfully HP have issued a series of "Driver Scrubber Utilities." just for this situation and these will clear out most of the Registry entries that cause the problem in either uninstalling or installing by the normal procedures. Going on a registry hunt for the entries that are causing the issue can be a bit time consuming.
Its best to use the driver scrubber from HP that's made for the job……. but unfortunately they are not easy to find on the HP website…..
In the past I have been successful in using a driver scrubber from HP that was not intended for the specific model of printer/scanner I was trying to fix…… but which seemed to do the trick…..
Here's the links to the pages on the HP website that will start you off on the procedures…….
If a customer asks me to do this sort of work then I always warn them that the labour/time costs in sorting it out are likely to be high and on economic grounds its likely to be much less expensive just to buy a new printer/scanner…… if they get one that is not an HP then I have a smile on my face (Nothing against HP, they make fine products) as there is less possibility of conflict between the old HP's software failed install/uninstall and the new All in one's software.
In South Africa the "All in ones" are often free….. the customer just pays for the ink cartridges…..
In the UK the, All in ones are sold at a discounted price say £25 -30 (GBP) approx $38 or so (USD) but the inks are pretty expensive
There are lots of servicable printer/scanners being given away each day on "Freecycle"…..if your customer doesn't have much money then this might be the way forward?
Good luck with it
Regards
paws
I give it a shoot and try the scrubbers, yes you are correct. In the past of dealing with HP printers has been nothing but a royal pain in the neck. I been giving thought of buying me a cannon and so goodbye to HP.
My wife has a newer HP which is a 2 steps up from this one but even those drivers would not install on this pc without running into errors.
We see I am going to spend a day backing up everything and moving files over to another hard drive. I installed a 350 few months back and been putting my programs on it, now I have massive dos, speed sheets, database files, Quicken files, pictures, music from the church and what not and power points. I want to be sure of having these in case HP driver issue decides not to take a turn south and cause me to re-install windows.
Jimbo1
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI