My computer does not shut down lately. It usually freezes at
"Saving Windows Setting…" or "Closing WIndows…" or something like that. I almost always have to shut it down manually. I am pretty sure the problem started shortly after the latest Windows upgrade, but I am not positive.
Also, I have a generic pup that my McAfee cannot clean. Could the two problems be related?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dave
Yes, could be related.
The shut-down process "waits" for all active applications and processes to finish before turning off, or will give an "End Program Now?" alert if it recognizes the application.
You may have a Spyware process interacting with the internet, that appears to be a legit program doing its thing, thereby preventing the Shutdown.
The Above remains "sheer speculation" until you gather additional information to confirm or deny.
Run HJT and post your Log over in the Malware Removal Forum.
Once you have the pop-up and any other malware cleared out, Run you MS Updates again.
Best Regards
Where can I download HJT? I used to have it but it seems to have dissapeared from my computer.
Thanks.
* edit - never mind I found it. Google is an amazing thing.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI