This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Shutdown Problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I recently encountered a computer that won't shut down, it is a dell desktop running windows xp, The computer saves settings then sits on windows is shutting down indefinitely. I have run antivirus programs, and the computer works fine when it is running, but I can't get it to shut down. I tried googling the issue, but the sheer number of possibilities is kind of overwhelming. What other information do you need/want, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Another method I use sometimes is to start Task Manager, select Processes then start the shutdown. Watch and see what processes get closed. After a bit, once you are sure the shutdown is hung, start killing processes one at a time until you find the one causing the hang.

You may also want to install Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service as it often fixes shutdown hang problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI