This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

wireless connection

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I have a Netgear DG834G 54meg router that is positioned downstairs in my lounge, I have 2 computers linked to it using the Netgear WG311T 108 meg cards, my signal strength is about 97-100% and both computers normally stay connected at 54meg I have tried to change the router to a Netgear DG834GT 108 meg when I do I still get good signal strength but the computers drop down to 5-6 meg, this only happens when I put the router on 108 auto if I leave it on b-g then it goes back up to 54meg. I have tried using high gain aerials but there is no difference. I would really love to be able to connect at 108 megs on wireless. Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong. One other thing, is it possible to connect 2 DG834GT routers so one talks to the second one and that can be used to boast the signal, I suppose I mean as a repeater. Thanks.
Unless you have a monster pipe, you aint going to connect at 108mb. You'd need something like verizon's FIOS. And yes, but its called a switch or a HUB. However, that will not increase your speed.
OK Seeing as my 2 computers are only about 9 ft apart is it possible to just use the router for browsing (in wifi mode) the web on both computers, and hard wire the computers together so I can transfer data from one to the other faster. If this is possible how do I go about it. Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI