This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Need suggestions

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello and thanks for reading,

Here is my situation:

I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router upstairs. Downstairs I have two computers, one of which is wirelessly connected to the router. The other computer is quite old but I plan on replacing/upgrading it soon and want it to be able to connect as well. The problem is, wireless internet is pretty terrible for gaming; bad latency or occasional dropped connections. I plan on using both the computers downstairs for gaming. What is the best solution to get both the downstairs computers wired up to the internet without dragging cords around the house?

I have researched only one viable solution so far and that is this:
http://www.jr.com/netgear/pe/NTG_XE102G/
and I found some high quality ones:
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_adapterkit_hdxb101.php



Is it possible to connect a new modem / router downstairs and receive the same internet service as upstairs? This might be the cheapest solution if it works…

My brother connects to xbox live upstairs via the router so it is probably not an option to bring the modem/router downstairs without a special hardware purchase for the xbox (http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=180 )…but this is also something that might work I am thinking.


A last resort would be a quality wireless adapter, but I would need some pretty confident suggestions.

Comments / Suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
I can't give you an answer because I'm not a gamer, so you really need advice from a gamer as to what is best, but the adaptors you have found are hit and miss, some people swear by them, others say they are useless, what you have to remember is they use the ring main of the house to transport the signal, as such there are many variables that can affect the result, so it's not an ideal choice, wireless again can be hit and miss, the surrounding construction of the house\floors etc ALL have a bearing on how well that will work, but if you don't want to run wires I suspect it will be the best option, but you'd need someone with a better knowledge on this area than I have, but there are definitely options that are better than others within this field. Running cable may even have it's problem, because the longer the cable the greater the loss etc, so the best solution for you is not going to be easy to suggest, because there are so many things that have a bearing on the result, so it will be an experiment whichever way you go, so I'll leave you with those thoughts so you know what your facing, and I'll see if there are any gamers that can pop in to offer further advice for you.

Going cable is definitely better, more secure, and can support 1Gb networks.


I don't understand..you mean using wires as opposed to wireless? I already know that's better =P
Hello RPinney :wavey:

I am no expert on this subject, though I do have an excellent site here if you decide to go with cable, and doing it yourself. This site has many other helpful issues for you as well.
I wish you well with whatever you decide. :thumbup:

Regards,
Jkc73 :)

Going cable is definitely better, more secure, and can support 1Gb networks.


I don't understand..you mean using wires as opposed to wireless? I already know that's better =P

You asked,

Comments / Suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

My suggestion is to go 1G wired network in your house.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI