This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Low signal makes internet virtually unusable

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is a connectivity issue. I have a laptop that I use in the office and at home. No problems at home whatsoever with getting a wireless signal from two floors up. but at the office I'm two offices over from the router (approx 50-60 ft) and I can't get a good signal. A colleague uses his laptop in my office and does get a good signal so that's been a confusing part of all this .. Here's what I've tried thus far: (1) raised the router up to a window so the wall right near the router is no longer a problem; (2) re-angled the antenna of the router to help with the signal; (3) cut into the coax cable and used a splitter to feed cat5 up into my office. Nothing has helped. It seems that I can work this from two directions: (1) try to improve the signal I get from the router or (2) attempt to get the signal through hard wiring it to my computer. But that's as far as my experience and know-how go. What could I be missing in all of this? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
options to try,

1:- put high gain aerials on the router :- http://www.sourcingmap.com/80211g-omni-9db…paign=ukfroogle

2:- buy an extender router, place this in your office, this would then connect to the first router and you'd connect your laptop to this 2nd router. :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wireless-Un…s/dp/B000FQHXM2

3:- buy plugs that use the buildings electric wiring :- http://www.pulsat.com/products/Home-Plug-N…in-Pack%29.html

the items linked are just examples to give you an idea of what i'm talking about and not recommended items that i'd purchase.

:popcorn:
dconant1 - you can't tap into ethernet wiring like that, and you especially can't use a "splitter." You've compromised the integrity of the cable. To properly wire your office you will need a dedicated ethernet cable running from your office all the way back to the router/switch where ti should plug into its own port if any are available. If not enough ports are available, you cannot "split" the cable. You have to add an ethernet switch to provide more ports to plug into. The cuts you made into the existing cable will compromise communication on that cable for anybody else that was plugged into it unless properly installed connectors have been placed on each cut end and connected back together. Wireless is not reliable. If you want reliability, you must use wires and is always the preferred way to go if it is convenient to do so.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI