This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

TCP/IP problem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am having trouble connected to the internet through a cable modem. I have been on for a couple of months and everything has been fine. On Friday I was on the computer in the morning and then I logged off the internet and left my computer on. I went to my college for a about three hours and when I came back. I shook my mouse to wake it up and I saw the warning window for when you unplug a usb device without stopping it first. but my usb connections where all fine including the one to the modem. I tryed changing ports and it does not work but other usb devices such as my mouse work in all ports so I know it is not the ports on the computer. I replaced both the cable and the modem itself too. When I try to get online the, can not be displayed screen comes up and when I called their tech guys they looked into it and when they told me to go to the dos command prompt and type in ipconfig/renew it came up with this error message: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP. they then told me that it was on my end and they could not do anything else. If anyone could please help that would be great Matthew
Check to be sure that the DHCP Client service is started and has a start type of "Automatic". Go to Start|Run, type services.msc and press Enter. Double click the DHCP Client entry to view the settings.
hello Ax, The DHCP Client was stopped. I clicked start and the following Error came up: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency Service or group failed to start. The start type was set to Automatic Matthew
Thank You for the link. When I opened it I noticed that it was for windows XP. Is the process simular for windows 2000 Pro? Because that is the windows that I am running Matthew
there is no dependencies listed in the dependencies tab. when i opened the DEVMGMT.MSC and clicked on show hidden files, I went to the non-plug and Play Drivers and then I clicked on AFD Networking Support Environment. That was started but, was Automatic. I switched it to system. Then I clicked on NetBios over Tcpip and everything was ok. I then clicked on Tcp/IP Protocal Driver. It was stopped. I tried to start it but nothing happened. Type was system. The Tcp/Ip Protocal Driver has a yellow ! on it. I also noticed that the wincom32 also has a yellow ! on it and was also stopped. Matthew
I have in the past but not in the last 3 weeks or so. I know that is bad sorry. can you recommend some for me to use so that I can get back on the road to recovery. It has been real hard not having the internet to do my college classes. matthew
Our first priority right now would be to get rid of this, as well as any possible other infections, on your system. Here is some information on the infection that you have, as well as some repair instructions:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/…-99&tabid=1

I would suggest that you download HijackThis and post an HJT log to a new thread in the HijackThis Logs forum for further assistance in cleaning your system. Be sure to read the Self Help first. Include a link to this thread in your new thread. Once your system has been cleaned, you may return here to continue working through the resolution.

Regards,

Ax

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI