Kaspersky's online scanner recommends you disable any real-time protection your current antivirus program may offer for the duration of it's (kasperky's) scan. I have not noticed Panda's activescan offer any similar warning. Is it advisable to do so anyhow?
Thanks.
Yes, disable any Anti Virus program that you have installed. All the scanners are different in there requirements, you will get better more accurate results if you disable anything you have running. You can usually right click on the Icon in the system tray and disable it. I don't know what you have running on your system so I don't know what else you have. If you have any Spyware programs installed, disable them also.
If you feel you are infected with a virus or such, run Hijackthis and post a log.
Hijackthis 1.99.1
Its important that Hijackthis is installed in its own permanent folder for backup purposes.
Use the link above or the links in my signature to download HJT 1.99.1 setup to your desktop
Double Click on the Setup icon and by defaut it will unzip to C:\Program Files\Hijackthis
Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread.
Please use the [external image: Posted Image] Button and not the New Topic Button
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Thanks for the answer, Ken.
No, I'm not worried about a virus on this computer, I just wanted to check on the disable AV question. I have TrendMicro's PCcillin but occasionally like to run an online scan (Kaspersky or Panda) for a second opinion of sorts - but I always feel a bit uneasy disabling PCcillin for the duration of that other online scan.
Thanks again for the answer.
Thats great Franko, glad all is well. All the online scanners from the major vendors are more than safe to run, just don't click on a link that may pop up offering you a free scan….you will get more than you bargained for.
Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
IE-Spyad
IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote , I'm glad I was able to help you.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.