Hi, I upgraded my friend to XP SP2 and I think it disabled his internet cable connection. Has anyone experienced this? I've tried to disabled the Windows Firewall, but no help. Thanks.
It is not advisable to operate a system without a software firewall especially a 24/7 broadband cable connection. If you are having trouble configuring settings for the Windows Firewall,
If the TP/ICP settings have been hosed go to Start | Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt. Type "ipconfig/release and renew" without the quotes. Close all windows and see if you have a connection.
There are other procedures you could try but it is usually advisable to contact your internet company and have them check the connection. It could be something as simple as resetting the cable modem to manually entering address settings.
Thanks PW. We tried everything and finally had to call, sit and wait for Microsoft support line. Six hours later, we had to reinstall my friend's Windows system. Microsoft's claim was that during "download" of the SP2 upgrade if there's any kind of anti-virus running, the upgrade could have been damaged. Note: before "installing" the upgrade as you would normally do when installing something, I was trying to make sure that his anti-virus software was disabled. I found out that it was not running. I even tried to enable it to make sure it was running at some point, but I could not. So no anti-virus software running, but somehow the SP2 upgrade was corrupted? Don't know what to say. <_<