I was running Adobe Reader 7.07 and was advised to update to 8 which I did. Question? Now in Add and Remove both Adobe Readers 7.07 & 8 are showing as installed. Should I uninstall the earlier version?
A further question- In Services I have the following running which I wonder if they are all needed -
The only Symantec software I run is Nortons Ghost 10 which is my backup image software for my entire system, so wondering if all these items need to be in services running at startup?
Lastly, I am running Adobe Flash Player [removed] which I believe is the latest released, (showing installed in Add and Remove) but Secunia.com persistenly tells me my Macromedia needs upgrading:
This installation of Macromedia Flash Player 8.x is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!
The detected version installed on your system is [removed], however, the latest secure version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 9.0.28.0.
NOTE: When updating Flash Player, older versions are not always automatically removed from your system. If older versions were detected that you believe should not be present, then please contact the vendor regarding how to remove them from your system.
Vulnerabilities Fixed:
Read about the vulnerabilities fixed with this update in Secunia advisory SA22467 (opens in a new window). The Secunia advisory describes the vulnerabilities fixed by the latest security update. If your installation is outdated with more than one version, then more vulnerabilities may be covered.
Yet I also quote the following from the result on secunia.com
Yahoo! Messenger 8.x [removed]
ZoneAlarm 6.x 6.5.737.000
Adobe Flash Player 9.x [removed]
Adobe Flash Player 9.x 9.0.28.0
Macromedia Flash Player 8.x 8.0.24.0
Installed on Your System in:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8b.ocx
Thanks, would appreciate advice on the above from an expert.
_________________
Well you have quite a grocery list here. To answer your Adobe Reader question: When you do an Adobe upgrade to the next version, it will leave the old version on your system (When I upgraded to version 7, I had 5 and 6 still on my system as well!). You should be fine by removing version 7 in the Add/Remove programs. You might also want to check the file folder in the Program Files directory. Adobe must have some reason for keeping them there, possibly for if a user ever decides to downgrade their version? At any rate, you only need one version on your system and version 8 works quite well.
As for the services, that's all dependent upon whether your software functions correctly without them.
Symantec Event Manager: Receives information from all registered events. It is the middleman that ensures that the information is then sent to the Log Viewer to be processed and displayed as part of the Activity Log Report
Symantec Settings Manager: A core component of Norton Internet security and is required for Norton products to function correctly.
Symantec Core LC: Same as above.
True Vector Internet Monitor is part of ZoneAlarm: Used for monitoring internet traffic and generatating alerts based upon the default security rules or rules that are configured by the user.
Finally, the Secunia Software advisor checks if the older versions of flash are on your system. Meaning even if you have the most up-to-date version, it will still see the old version as well and sound the alarm. What you want to do is follow the flash uninstall instructions from Adobe's website, delete the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed folder, and then reinstall flash from http://www.adobe.com
Firstly Adobe, I have uninstalled everything to do with Adobe Reader software including the files and folders from C: Drive and downloaded and installed Foxit 2.0. Reason being Foxit is not such a resource hogger.
One only problem remains, I cannot shift from 'Add and Remove' what I think is a remnant of Adobe 7.07. When I try to I get the following:
"The installation source of this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."
Adobe 7.07 (62MB) does not show in Start/All programs, but does in Add and Remove.
I have run CCleaner, but to no avail. Any suggestions please?
Re those four items in Services, I will leave them as they are after reading your post.
Flash Player has been uninstalled and then downloaded and installed again and all is fine……………..thank you very much for your help.
I'm glad you worked things out. dough had actually suggested telling you about FoxIt Reader, but you didn't seem to have any major issues with Adobe in your first post, so I left it out. Scan for issues with CCleaner and fix all issues it finds. This will remove the registry entries that make the entry appear in the Add/Remove Programs.
Cheers,
Ax
Thanks AX238 for your post.
No, No trouble with Adobe, but Foxit not such a large program.
As mentioned I have scanned with CCleaner, BUT the remnant is still showing in Add and Remove.
Any other suggestions along the way I would be grateful.
Cheers and thanks again.
OK, great! I just wasn't sure if you did the "Issues" with CCleaner or the "Cleaner", thanks for the clarification. Try using the Add/Remove Program Cleaner.
Thanks again.
I used 'addremoved software' and still it is there, but a very much reduced item! Certainly stubborn. Showing in Add and Remove is a very much thinner strip with no writing on it except what is showing in this attachment to you.
Must be female, stubborn like me
Hi tallin and Ax
I don't mean to butt in…
You could alternatively try using Spybot (advanced mode) - Tools - Uninstall Info and highlight Adobe Reader 7.07 and hit Delete. Usually, remnants of programs in Add/Remove remain when an uninstall wasn't completed successfully or was flawed. I also found that when doing an uninstall, it is often best to restart the computer after finishing the uninstall. Which allows the files/folders that were in use to be removed. Some uninstalls will tell you to do this, but not all.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your post - AND your not butting in, all help is gratefully received.
Adobe 7.07 does not show in "Spybot (advanced mode) - Tools - Uninstall Info and highlight Adobe Reader 7.07"
I was also advised to download 'Adobe Reader 7.0.7' again which would install the uninstaller for the software, then uninstall again - I have done that, the attachment shows I now have two installed. Any suggestions what to do next?
Seems I am going around in circles here!
Thanks for your interest and any other suggestions you may have.
Cheers
Hi, Just a note to thank you so much for your input in attempting to clear my Adobe 7.0.7 remnant from my Add and Remove.
It was a deep registry problem solved by a Skype conference call from two learned Technicians, one taking over my registry 'thankfully' (I am not comfortable within it) There were many many F3 (registry searches) and finally all relevant items was deleted deep within the registry. After a reboot, and a further call via skype the problem was gone from Add and Remove.
I will now stay with 'Foxit Reader' a much smaller program which will suit me better suggested by Dough now downloaded and installed.
Thank you for your assistance and input, Galadriel. Sorry I was away a couple of days and so was not able to get back to the forums for a bit. I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved, tallin!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI