This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

WASN'T SURE IF I SOULD START A NEW THREAD. NOT RELATED TO PREVIOS THREAD. I DO HAVE A COUPLE MORE QUESTION IF YOU CAN HELP WITH THESE THAT WOULD BE GREAT. WE JUST GOT NORTONS SYSTEMWORKS 2005 PREMIER TODAY AND UNDER THE DIRECTIONS IT READS TO UNINSTALL ALL OTHER ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS. DO I ONLY NEED ONE CURRENT VERSION OF NORTONS TO BE SAFE? IF NOT DO I UNINSTALL THEN RE-INSTALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS? DOES THIS DAMAGE SOME OF THE PROGRAMS? SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT ONCE YOU UNINSTALL MSAS BETA 1 YOU CAN'T RE-INSTALL CORRECTLY AND IT DOESN'T PREFORM AS PROGRAMMED. IS THIS TRUE? AND HOW MANY (PROGRAMS)IS TOO MANY? WHAT ARE SPYWAREBLASTER, SPYWAREGUARD, AND IESPY AD? ARE THESE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS ALONG WITH SPYBOT, AD-AWARE, MSAS BETA 1, AND A NEW PROGRAM OFFERED FROM MY DSL COMPANY SBC? I SHOULD SAY THAT ALL I HAD PREVIOUS WAS AN EXPIRED VERSION OF NORTONS, WHICH WAS WHAT MY DSL COMPANY WAS SET TO USE. THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ON THESE QUESTIONS AND FOR THE PREVIOUS HELP YOU ALREADY GAVE.
When installing the new Norton System Works it should have uninstalled the previous expired version of Norton Antivirus. You can have more than one Antivirus program on your computer but it is not recommended to have them both running at the same time as they can conflict with each other. If you have more than one Antivirus program, than I suggest that you go into the options of all but one and have it set to not run at start-up. You can still run scans with them but you will need to disable the rest during the scan. As for the Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware are malware scanners, not to be confused with antivirus programs. They are designed to remove Spyware/Adware where as the Antivirus program is designed to remove virus/worms. It is recommended to have both types of these scanners on your computer to keep it protected. SpywareBlaster blocks bad downloads (ActiveX, Cookies) from ever getting installed on your computer. SpywareGuard sets killbits in the registry to prevent bad items from getting installed. IE-Spyad places many sites into the Restricted Sites list of Internet Explorer. I have all of these programs mentioned on my own computer and have had no trouble with it in quite some time. These are the best-of-the-best and are highly recommended by most Malware Removers. Hopefully this clears things up for you a little bit. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI