This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DVD Rom door won't stay open

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS630g pc. My dvd rom recently stopped working right. It would read dvds but wouldn't read cds anymore. So I picked up a used dvd rom drive from a friend. I think it was taken out of an E- Machine. In my control panel this drive is listed as: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B This drive reads both dvds and cds fine. My problem is that when you open the door to put a disk in, it only stays open for 2 to 3 seconds, then closes. It should stay open until I push the tray in or push the button to make it go in. I barely have enough time to take the cd out or put one in. If I have to take one out and put a different one in I have to push the button to open it a second time because it doesn't give me enough time to do both. Could this be a driver problem? If anyone could give me any suggestions on how to correct this I'd really appreciate it. I can live with it this way if I have to, but it would be much nicer if the door would stay open until I'm ready to close it. Thanks
Annoying!
The easiest course of action might be to purchase and install a new Drive unit.
But you may stumble upon a solution to this illusive problem.

The most common cause of this problem (in my experience) is dirt/dust/lint that interferes with the "alignment" of the tray mechanism.

Turn off your machine and unplug the power cord.
Use a straightened paperclip in the tiny hole on the face of the tray cover to "push" the tray mechanism open.
Now in the open position, check for dirt/dust/lint on the tray guide or in the corners of the tray opening.

If dirt/dust/lint has accumulated, it might not allow the tray to completely close, thereby inspiring a continuing loop of open-close-open-close.

It is also possible that the tray mechanism is itself out of alignment or damaged. You "may" be able to inspect the unit while the tray is open and identify the problem. "Fixing" such an identified physical drive mechanism problem is a whole different issue, and because of cost, many people decide to just replace the unit.

Be sure to use electrical and static electricity precautions when working on the hardware of your computer.

Try reading a few online resources dedicated to this type of problem.
http://askbobrankin.com/cdrom_tray_opens.html
http://experts.about.com/q/CD-ROMS-DVD-2114/index.htm
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/CD-DVD-DriveProblems.htm
I really don't think it's a problem with the drive itself. I thought that might be it too so I took the dvd drive out of my second pc and tried it in my Sony and that one did the same thing. It also closed the door on its own but it worked fine when I put it back into the other pc. It must be a software issue of some kind I suspect.
Check for Driver issuew in Device Manager. If there is a yellow or red warning under CD ROM, then Highlight the driver - right-click and Select - Remove. Then Reboot your machine for Windows to "find new hardware" and "install software for new hardware". Are you using a "third-party" DVD software, like for instance PowerDVD. You shouldn't need it if the machine is running XP, but if your Sony setup relies on such a third-Party software, then use Add/Remove to uninstall and then freshly reeinstall it.
I tried all that with no success. The dvd rom still closes on its own. I can live with it though. Just gotta be quick, lol. As far as my previous problem with the power supply, I never changed it. I decided to give the video card a try with my 300 watt supply and it works fine without any problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI