This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

need drivers

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi windows XP pro
My computer crashes now and again, the problem started about a week ago, I have done a couple of system restores but the problem remains. When I get the Microsoft warning I send it off but it just says its a driver problem but they cannot help at the moment. I ran one of those check your drivers programs and it said I needed updated drivers for NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X and NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6) the only one I can find is for the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X but I cannot find the other one anywhere, and even after installing the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X driver the problem still remains. Can anyone give me a direct link for the most updated drivers for NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X and NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6)
Thanks
Hey thespook,

you state:

My computer crashes now and again, the problem started about a week ago, I have done a couple of system restores but the problem remains.


What changes did you make prior to the onset of this problem.
You are attempting to retore to a time before what?

As for Drive Update utilities. Guaranteed, they will find an update or two for you.
But with regard to Drivers, newer is not always better.
Particularly with regard to Video Drivers, where rolling back is a common practice for machines and configurations which are not suited to the newest driver.

Go to your Device Manager and look for any yellow or red warnings.
If there are no warnings, then Windows is able to use the current drivers correctly.
If there is a warning, use the Device Manager option - Remove and then allow Windows to find and reinstall.

If Device Manager flags your Video Card Driver, then use Add/Remove to completely remove the nVidea Driver prior to installing a fresh copy of the Driver. (if there is a warning, you'll probably do better to use the same Driver version, but just get a fresh install of it)

Again, something is causing the Error warning and crash that you are experiencing. A faulty driver should be detected in Device Manager.

the NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6) is a hard drive ATA IDE controller. You can get the appropriate driver from your computer manufacturer's site or from the motherboard manufacturer's site. It may be included in the selection of Chipset Drivers.

If the problem persists after Driver removal and reinstall, we'll need some additional information.

Other possible causes could relate to faulty RAM or faults on your Hard Drive.

Best Regards
Thanks for the prompt reply. I did look in device manager and there are no flags so I decided to leave well alone and the crashes have stopped. I have not done anything new, so I don't know what caused them, maybe I have got a female computer :D as I said I will leave well alone. Thanks :thumbup:
Good for you. Of course, general maintence may be of some value if needed at this time. Clean out your temporary files and Defrag. Run an online scan or two (AVG Ewido, Panda ActiveScan, Kapersky) Then run your Windows File Protection, System File Checker. No harm in any of the above, and always useful to keep it fresh and neat. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI