This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unable to install drivers for Nvidia Geforce GT 630m

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Machine specs

Acer Aspire V3-771G

Intel Core i5 2450M CPU @ 2.50 GHz

6 GB Ram

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

 

This system has on-board graphics and the Nvidia card. I used to be able to designate which video processor a program would use.

When I boot, Window reports it found new hardware and attempts to install the software. After several minutes it reports this driver install failed. I have tried updating the driver manually but with the same result. I also tried using Nvidia's driver updater software to no avail. I even tried removing the device from device manager and searching for new hardware again.

 

The exact error message is…

 

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Nvidia GeForce GT 630M

This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for software drivers." 

 

 

My laptop was recently cleaned of malware with the help of your partners in the malware section of whatthetech.com Here is a link to the thread in case you want to see what was done.

 

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=129818

 

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Sorry to hear of the issues with your graphics card.

Malware sometimes does strange things to a computer's set up , some are easily rectified whilst others sometimes need more drastic action. :(

 

If you are going to try the upgrade to Win 10 that was launched the other day (free to most Win 7 licenced machines) then this might fix the issues for you…..if drivers are available for Win 10 for your graphics card and computer then you will usually be offered the choice of which graphics set up you want to use when installing Win 10 ( I.E. using Windows own drivers or using the Nvidia geforce gt 630m)

 

The choice that you used to have under win 7 of using either depending on your needs at the time, may be continued under Win 10 or it may not, With some of these issues its just too early to tell, until someone has tried the upgrade on an exactly the same computer as yours and with the same dual configuration.

 

One decision that you may need to make concerns the functionality that the NVidia Card offers you over and above the standard Windows graphics.

 

Are these extra functions important and valuable to you?

 

It might be wise to list all the features that you are likely to gain, and compare these with just using the basic Windows set up.

 

Only you can decide what is important to you.

 

I'm not sure from your post if you uninstalled the NVidia drivers and software and restarted your computer BEFORE installing the driver manually….if you didn't do this then I would be inclined to do this as a first step as it just might bring back the "dual functionality" under your Win 7 operating system.

 

here's a link to the download and instructions etc.,

 

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver.html

 

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Regards

paws

Also , did this problem just arise after the malware cleaning or was it present prior to. I went through you logs and we used AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal, Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit ,Malwarebytes and also a fix with FRST removing that bad program and  I cant see anywhere where it removed any files in relation to nvidia 

The problem arose during the cleanup process. But I think I have more serious issues. I decided to run windows update to install the updates it notified me of while we were cleaning my machine. Windows update does not work. It shows me how many updates are available, one of them being for the Nvidia card. However, when I tell it to install the updates, it just sits there saying "downloading". After a while it fails due to timeout.

I have gone to Microsoft's site and run their "Fixit" program for my issue. This did not fix the problem. I'm afraid I may need to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch.

 

Edit…

So I tried running Windows Update again. Here are the errors it returned…

 

Code 8007045D Windows update encountered an unknown error

Code 8000FFFF Windows update encountered an unknown error

Code 800705B4 Windows update encountered an unknown error

 

In doing research…

Code 8007045D "ERROR_IO_DEVICE - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Code 8000FFFF is caused by errors in some registry keys

Code 800705B4 appears to be due to a problem with an improperly installed device driver.

 

Looks like my video card may have just decided to coincidentally die during the cleanup process. I think a total reset is in order at this point just to see if it helps. Or perhaps I should open this laptop and make sure the card is seated properly?  What do you think?

Dismantlling a laptop in a well equipped workshop by an experienced technician is an easy job (but time consuming) however folks who are not either trained or experienced in delving into electronics and of course taking all ESD (anti static) precautions may want to consider carefully before taking this step. If you are experienced in these procedures and have a spare compatible component handy then go ahead and try a substitution…… However it might be wise to ascertain if it's a hardware issue or an operating system/software issue first.

 

If you disable the NVidia and just use the Windows graphics how does it perform?

 

You could also do a simple test by booting into a live distro  of Linux (Puppy or Ubuntu are both good, with Puppy being a smaller download) Burn the .iso as an image and set your computer to boot from your optical drive with the Live Linux disc in the tray.

 

Give the machine a good work out using Puppy… if it works Ok then you have more or less eliminated hardware as a likely suspect (Don't install either Puppy or Ubuntu just run it live ( in Ram) as you don't want to write anything to your hard drive. When running the live disc in RAM when you shut down and reboot, then Windows will be back and Puppy will be gone!

 

If it's likely that it's software or operating system (as a result of the above test) then before doing anything too drastic like formatting and reinstalling, there are some basic checks and repairs you can perform that MAY fix the problem.

 

1  Run chkdsk with the r switch from a command promt with elevated privileges…. the command you need is:

chkdsk /r

accept the warning, type

Y

press Enter

type

exit

press Enter

Close down and then restart your computer (a full shutdown not a sleep/hibernate)

Don't interrupt chkdsk or allow power to be shut off, only run chkdsk when the PSU charger is connected, It may take several hours to complete and will make any repairs it can and then restart your computer.

 

2 From the same command prompt with elevated privileges run sfc

the command is

sfc /scannow.

Any repairs that sfc can perform will be done automatically.

 

3 Download Windows "all in One repair tool" from www. tweaking.com

read the instructions carefully and follow them all (note the need to power down and drain your machine in the correct way before restarting in safe mode with networking

 

4 Don't be tempted to skip the reg back up, system restore point. and back up everything that's important to you on your machine (anything you don't want to lose) and make sure you have at least one extra validated and tested copy, kept safe offsite on removable media.

 

5 You could try just the repair of Windows Update on its own, however in view of the problems you have been experiencing then it might be worthwhile you considering running all the repairs.

 

6 If you still have problems after all this then maybe its time to reimage your system. or perform a format and reinstall or upgrade to Win 10

 

Post back and let us know how you get on.

 

Regards

paws

Well, it's been a few days, but I'm back. Just wanted to give an update so I didn't leave this thread hanging.

I downloaded the AllInOne Windows Repair tool. It was unable to repair anything. chkdsk found so many errors it shut itself down.

So I went with the factory reset option. Once Windows was running it began giving me error messages saying that the hard drive was about to fail. So, I installed all updates and made a restore image of my drive, including the recovery partition. I will be replacing the hard drive soon and re-imaging the disk.

I have no way of knowing if the malware I had led to the failure or if it was just coincidence.

Oh, the Nvidia card works fine since the restore.

 

Thanks for all the help

Hi , That's good news ( in a manner of speaking)

at least you know  that its the hard drive failing that is the likely culprit.

 

Its always good to have an upto date disc image, but if you imaged the system when it was failing, then it may ( I repeat just may) reproduce the errors when re imaging the new hard drive.

 

It would be wise to check out  earlier disc images made when the system was running fast and sweet and also as a long stop, to have a complete data back up of everything that is important to you (including of course your network drivers (so you can get on to the Internet) and all product serial keys including the one for Windows itself as if the image you have, does reproduce errors that are difficult to fix, then when performing a fresh install of Windows on your new hard drive you will, at least have everything you need.

 

Fingers crossed that all will go well.

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI