This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Just bought a P3 and it won't turn on

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

around a month ago I bought a P3 computer and had trouble after a while and decided to reinstall XP but as I was reformatting it a got a blue screen saying windows was stopped as to not damage the computer and gave me some options such as safe mode..etc….it was a bad spooling error at one point and maybe a bad device driver. It went in a vicious cycle around and around. I finally got it reformmated and it stopped and gave a blue screen when I tried an option it said no operating system. it started using my older computer and have tried to start the newer P3,it would not turn on,changed power cord still nothing. The former owner said he just put in a new power supply. I jiggled the power cord plug by the power supply and could hear a faint noise like static electricty. Any help would be appreciated. Pentium 3 1.2 gig mem 512 Windows XP Pro 30 gig Hard drive Syntax motherboard. :scratch:
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer. A little more information would help me. 1 Did you successfully format your hard drive? 2 Did you successfully reinstall your operating system? 3 When you try to boot do the cooling fan(s) spin? Check both the fans on the Power Supply Unit (PSU) and the Central Processing Unit (CPU) {There may or may not be a fan fitted to the CPU.} 4 Which LED's are illuminated (if any) 5 Have you previously taken a disc or partition "Image" using a programme such as Ghost, Acronis, Drive Image, Paragon or the like? 6 Do you have a copy or backup of all important files settings data etc.? Lastly, have you tried holding down the "Power on" switch/button for a minimum of 12 seconds (then releasing it) then waiting a further 30 seconds and then trying a normal reboot? Regards paws
I finally got it to format then another error message and I had the screen to pick safe mode etc….when I cliked on that it said no operating system. I shut it down and went back to my older computer. I did not use Ghost or anything like that and no backup programs I will try to hold down the power button etc….I could not see the fan running when I tried to turn it on. I would hold the button down for maybe 5 seconds. I will post back how I make with holding the power butoon etc…Thanks
Hi, If still no lights and no fans spin up it would be worth borrowing, begging or cadging a known good PSU and temporarily fitting it to see if that helps. Its dead annoying to buy a new PSU and find its something very simple like a dud switch! If you are confident about the anti-static procedures you should adopt and can use a voltmeter competently and know and observe all safety requirements and recommendations then this is the ideal next step. However don't do this if you are in any doubt as not only is it possible to do severe damage to your computer you could electrocute yourself causing injury or even death. It's good to save money and do things yourself but never at the expense of personal safety. If you have a local competent computer technician it might be a good idea to let them take a look if you have any uncertainties. Regards paws
I am going to buy a new power supply,from somebody local shen I get the time. I figure if it is bad then problem solvrf if not I have a back up power supply. Iwill post back as soon as I try the power supply. Thanks for your help. Greg

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI