This happened about 3 months ago and now, again, I cannot start the desktop b/c when I press the power button, the light goes flashing yellow not steady white and there is nothing on the screen. Prior to this there was a blue screen which said Windows is doing some checking but just stayed blue.
Should I take a chance on a new PSU which I doubt can be returned or is the PC gone?
I do not have any diagnostic tools or knowledge.
I inserted a window rescue disc but it does not power up to boot to it.
what is the model name and number of your dell pc peter, i want to check what size psu it uses.
first thing i'd do though is simply remove power lead from back and then hold in power button for 10 seconds then reconnect lead and see if it now powers on.
The PC is still not lighting up or powering up but there is a green light near the ac plug indicating it is getting power. The power button flashes yellow.
I have choices but am shaky about them;
Use just the old laptop
Order Dell
Have Micro Center build one
Build yours.
My biopsy is Thursday so the PC issue came a bit too early as I don't know what direction to take.
I was considering a Chromebook for my wife, in case anyway, and it might be a good idea. She knows nothing about pcs.
I think it is the PSU. I looked at the one in my desktop and there are a lot of wires. I would take pictures before replacing if I went that route.
I unplugged and plugged everything back to the board.
After about 4 hours I removed the RAM and exchanged them and solidly snapped the locks. It now works fine but if it happens again I think I will get a PSU.
I don't think they take it back but for 45$ I think it is worth it. I hope I can find a PSU that Dell will accept as it is so much of a maverick.
80+ gold, 600+ watts, should do it I would think from what you have told me.
I would think taking pictures before removal is a good idea as the PSU has many wires.
P.S. I tried with all my might to remove the ?24 pin biggest connector to the board but was unable. I squeezed the plastic clip hoping it would release but could not do it. Am I supposed to squeeze or pull away to pull the connector up?
you squeeze the clip, but if it still doesn't disengage allowing you to pull the plug out just use your nail or a small screw driver to lift the bottom of the clip over the raised plastic stop on the socket as you pull the plug out.
must admit i'm still not 100% convinced it is a definite psu problem but lots of people said changing theirs fixed the no boot problem when they had the flashing amber power button.
Only if this happens again will I consider the PSU.
I will take some pix for reference and use your tip in removing the connector.
I was thinking if the CMOS battery failed to also take pix of the set up as removing it erases all the data that was stored. II cannot get mine out. It seems that little spring loaded clip does not want to allow it to open. I'll handle that if and when.
Take a small screw driver, press against the small retaining clip and sort or snap it to the outside edge of the holder. The CR2032 battery should pop right out.
Both tips are great to know, Rich. Should I look for bronze or gold or does it not matter?
That little spring loaded clip is so little it was hard to see which way to push it, now I know. Do you ever perform a battery change after 4 years or wait to see if the time starts to show incorrectly?
I was sure the PSU was going but really the most major change I made besides snugging up connectors was to remove and replace RAM.
I was lucky because I know there are special ways to do so but being 6 1 GB sticks I randomly replaced therm.
They never seemed to 'seat' and wanted to rock but the clips did lock. There were 3 brown rows and 3 white ones paired bw - bw - bw..
I could not remember if the paper label on hem faced me or not but without forcing lucked out.
I do not know if RAM fails or if it is OK now so all set for now.